caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Blowing bubbles

Weight check = 5.4 lbs.

Lilly was sleeping soundly when I got the hospital this morning. My husband said she had a good night (unlike him on the hospital's "bed" for parents.)

Her breathing remained stable today and her temperature normal. She has no signs of infection so they stopped the antibiotics. They are working on weaning Lilly to the lowest level of oxygen as possible.

They decided not to move her back upstairs and just keep her in intensive care until surgery. Apparently the nurses in ICU are more used to handling breathing issues like Lilly has.

I call this second picture "where's Lilly?" because she looks so tiny on the bed.

I got a few questions answered about surgery. If all goes normally, she'll spend 3-4 days in intensive care after the surgery and then be moved upstairs for 4 days or so. They will get to her heart by going in through her chest, rather than her side. This means they'll have to break her sternum. Though apparently at this age it's not too bad because the sternum is mostly cartilidge.


In this last picture Lilly is blowing an impressively large spit bubble. I had been amusedly watching her blowing groups of little ones. Then suddenly one grew and grew - and stayed long enough for me to take this picture.

Lilly had a bit of a fussy afternoon so I spent a lot of time standing by her bed and patting her and talking in a low voice to her. She usually responds well to me. I reminded her of something God said: "Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you." Now that is incredibly comforting!

One blessing coming from my husband staying at the hospital with Lilly 24/7 is how they have really bonded. She now is also calmed by his voice. They both met two of the Jacksonville Jaguars football players this morning. The two football players were going around the hospital with the "Wolfie Wagon" (a cart with snacks, treats, coloring books, etc.) and offering everyone a freebie. I saw the men as I arrived and thought that must be really exciting for the kids in the hospital to meet them. (And for parents that are football fans too!)

As Lilly was crying at one point today, I thought of Revelation 21:4 which speaks of the new Jerusalem: "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Now isn't that something to look forward to?!

8 comments:

  1. I think of my grandmother, whose son and his family moved far away. In that time, there was no way to keep contact except by letter. so, I am blessed that I hear from you, my children, each day. I hold you all in my heart till I can hold you in my arms.
    Blessings and mercy from our God and Father.
    love mj

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so thankful they aren't moving her again. I think she is right where she needs to be. I pray she has another good day today and I pray that her surgery goes smoothly tomorrow. She is a precious girl and her parents are pretty special too! Keep the faith :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. little granddaughter, i love your bubbles! remember when cousin clara blew spit bubbles in the video uncle patrick made last year? i had never seen "bubble" art before. looks like you and clara have the same talent. perhaps you little girls could perform a bubble-blowing duet on thanksgiving!

    tomorrow is the big day. mah mah is praying the the Great Physician will strengthen every cell, organ, muscle, bone, artery, and vein in your little body today to prepare you for His incredible handiwork tomorrow.

    pa is reading your blogspot and calling me everyday to check on you. he has a big sign posted at Higher Grounds to update his customers on your prayer needs. thousands of prayers are being lifted daily for you. big strong and know that you are loved.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's an awesome spit bubble:) so glad you guys had a calm day. praying for surgery tomorrow and for Bubba's back:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm praying for Lilly and the whole family, and am glad to see that she is gaining weight. Hoping you all will be back in North Carolina soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a friend of Page's from Meredith, and I have been following your blog about little Lilly. I admire your and your husband's faith and your confidence. I shared your story with my girls bible study group, and we are praying for you, Lilly, and the doctors tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful words you used to comfort Lilly. "Never will I leave you;
    never will I forsake you." How often does our Lord speak those words to us - and what comfort they bring!!

    ReplyDelete