caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Sunday, March 2, 2014

The refrigerator repair boy and mama

Mr. Engineer Brain Boy Hunter likes to put together snap circuits for fun.  In fact - it is one thing he can work on that I know will always give him immense delight and a huge smile.  He likes to follow the book and also make up his own circuits.  (Both make my head spin!)



Hunter's favorite videos to watch on YouTube are all by Repair Clinic.  They have a series on how many different appliances work.  At first I just found it amusing that Hunter watched these videos over and over and would usually say "that was interesting!" when one concluded.  Now I am seeing there are a lot of benefits to him watching it.  His vocabulary seems to be growing even more rapidly (with big impressive sounding words) and he is learning so much about how things work and how to fix them.

In fact, he even correctly diagnosed some friend's refrigerator problem back in January!  Then at the dentist the other day, a repair guy sat down to fix the sprayer at the chair next to the one where Hunter was laid back being worked on.  After the dental hygentist described to the repairman the problem, Hunter said "sounds like the valve needs to be replaced!"  The repairman laughed and said "That's exactly right."

So when I recently noticed a problem with dripping water in our refrigerator, I asked Hunter.  We googled a repair video on YouTube by typing in the brand of our refrigerator (I had never paid attention to it but he knew) and a few key words that he told me.  Viola!  We found a two and a half minute video of some guy fixing the same problem on his refrigerator.  (Who ARE these people that video themselves doing these things and post them?!)  We watched the video and I realized that the fix should be something simple enough for me to do with my trusty helper.  (Or maybe I would be the helper?)

Yesterday morning we got out our tools and took out some parts in the freezer.  Hunter was THRILLED to be able to see the evaporator coils and fan in our own refrigerator:


There was a hole in the back that was completely jammed up with ice and some food crumbs.  I boiled some water to pour into the hole to melt the ice quickly.  The guy in the video used a turkey baster.  I don't have one so I had the idea of using one of Lilly's syringes.  (Still have part of a box.)  It worked perfectly.  (A funny "Lilly blessing!")


I'm happy - and relieved - to report that so far, the problem we were having seems to be fixed!  (A good lesson to learn here is to always give YouTube a chance when you have a problem with an appliance.  You may be able to fix it yourself and save money.  And then get to feel pretty impressed with yourself afterwards.  ;)

The puppies are now a little over 5 weeks old.  A few days ago, we gave Dixie a new dog bed.  (She had torn hers up in a frenzy when she was in labor.)  Dixie didn't get to enjoy her bed for long before her puppies took over:


(Still no takers for sure for these cute puppies!  Lots of interest but no commitment.  We were saying only the black puppies were available.  But Tabby is now thinking of keeping a black puppy instead of a brown one.  The tension mounts!  What will she choose?!)

Tabby says snap circuits and repair stuff give her a headache.  However she is very excited about a new project involving our chicken My Precious.


Tomorrow another chicken owner is going to bring my husband a dozen fertilized chicken eggs.  When he gets home after work, Tabby can put them under My Precious who is now broody again.  This is the kind of project Tabby likes.  Science in action!

I'm glad there are so very many things to learn about in the world!

7 comments:

  1. wow. I am amazed. I think all I did was make mud pies and climb trees. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too. :) Wonder where he got that brain from! (Special from God!)

      Delete
  2. Way to go Hunter. They make my head hurt also Tabby, but repairs are mostly puzzles that must be solved. Uncle Dennis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who would have thought that a boy his age would say that to a repairman? And I’m surprised that he learned all that through watching Youtube. I just hope he’ll continue to nurture his interests as he grows up. Because then he can help you in fixing small problems with your refrigerator and other parts of the house. Cheers!

    Darryl Lyons @ All About Air

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post mate, keep up the great work, just shared this with my friendz fridge repairs london

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Thank you for sharing great information to us. Sub-Zero, Viking REFRIGERATOR REPAIR IN CHINO

    ReplyDelete