caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Ice, snow, and Mardi Gras

ice on the pinwheel in Lilly's garden

Yesterday we woke to a little bit of snow covered with rock solid ice.  And it was cold out!  Our temperatures all week are supposed to remain cold so I don't know when this ice will melt.  The street in front of our house is like an ice skating rink.  And today there is a chance of more snow.

I do hope we get some nice fluffy snow!  Yesterday when I took the boys outside, Solomon couldn't understand why we couldn't make a snowman.

Since snow around here (central North Carolina) seems to just happen once or twice a winter - if at all - I always have to take pictures of it.  So here are some pictures from yesterday:

Solomon - Mr. Pink Cheeks!
I'm going to get you big brother!

It isn't polite to stare, girls and boy!
Exhaust Pipe
Sherlotta - she loved eating the ice!
Hunter cleaning off the gas pack - he's still obsessed with heating units
Sledding - on ice!


Our flock of 17 chickens did not care to come out of their coop and ice skate around much.  But Tabby's little flock of Silkie Bantums seemed to enjoy themselves:



I'm looking forward to the daffodils opening soon! 


When I was in 5th grade, my teacher went to Mardi Gras and returned with stories of parades and costumes and a big bag of plastic beaded necklaces and coins which captured my imagination. Then in the 1990s, I went with my dad to New Orleans for a court case.  The city was beginning to decorate for Mardi Gras and I thought it was so interesting to see it for myself.  At a dime store there, I bought a few things so that I could make my own Mardi Gras wreath when I got back home to Virginia.

Recently, my sister-in-law Nikki went to Mobile, Alabama for something for work.  She noted that Mobile has some of the earliest Mardi Gras celebrations in the United States.  Well that got me thinking about my Mardi Gras wreath in the attic and I thought I'd have a little celebration here.

the wreath is tired looking but still shiny
Years ago, Tabby and I used to make masks to celebrate Mardi Gras.  I found that bag in the attic and got some of those out:

We also made mini King cakes.  They weren't nearly as good as a real King cake.  Tabby and I had made one of those in the past but it took 2 days and I didn't feel up to that this year.


For lunch we had shrimp po' boys sandwiches and for supper we had red beans, rice, and sausage.  Yum.

I like how simple things can make memories. 

No comments:

Post a Comment