caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Saturday, September 5, 2015

Re-embracing the Trim Healthy Mama eating style

Earlier this summer, all in the same week, I had two people ask if I was pregnant. (One said “congratulations” right out.)  I’m not!  How discouraging.  At first I was thinking it was just because my diastasis recti seemed to be looking larger than usual.  (Diastasis recti is the separation of the two outer most abdominal muscles.  These muscles usually support the back and organs but separate during pregnancy.  If they don't close after, then basically you’ve got “the mummy tummy.”  My pooch is very rounded and sadly, really does look like I’m pregnant.)

(An aside - I was able to heal my diastis recti after Hunter and Lilly’s births by using the Tupler Techinique. This program uses massive repetitions of a few stomach exercises.  Plus the wearing of a splint around the waist.  We moved 3 weeks after Solomon’s birth, and between that and horrible postpartum depression, I did not do the exercises consistently like I should.  (Once I reached the point where I was to do several thousand repetitions, several times a day, I felt too overwhelmed.)  However I did wear the splint tightly around my belly.  Apparently I wore the wrap too tight and for too long though, as I ended up with ... (much to my horror) ... prolapse.  Ugh.  I contacted the Tupler Technique person and was told not to wear the splint and not to do more than 25 repetitions of the exercises a day.  In my initial panic/horror I began scouring the web about prolapse.  I found a website called Whole Woman which explained prolapse and how to manage it through Whole Woman posture.  I also learned that surgery was NOT a good idea to “fix” my new problem. FYI - The Whole Woman program really works!) 

Out of curiosity, I stepped on the scale.  Ooops!  Somehow I had managed to gain about 15 pounds since I had lasted checked.  Uh - where did that come from??!!  And no wonder some of my clothes seemed to have shrunk!

Solomon is helping make lavendar-tea tree oil goat milk soap
Time to loose some weight.  After Solomon was born, I was able to loose about 5 pounds a week by following the eating style outlined in the book Trim Healthy Mama by Serene Allison and Pearl Barrett.  (See my initial post HERE.)  So I picked up my book, which I was still using at times for the recipes, and reacquainted myself with the chapters on “The Satisfying Meal” and “The Energizing Meal.”   These both use low glycemic foods.  (And no - “low glycemic” does not have to mean “low taste”.)

Then I headed for chapter 28 - “One Week Fuel Cycle.”  This is an eating plan that pinpoints stubborn weight.  It helps overhaul your metabolism and gets weight loss going.  Different days have different effects on the body.  Using the authors’ lists of examples, I came up with a one week eating plan (detailed at the end of this post) and ended up following the same one for two weeks.  (Note: I am NOT an adventurous cook - there’s a lot more variety in the book for the fuel cycle than I used.)

The result?  I lost 4 pounds in the first two days! 

After those two weeks (which I ended up not being able to follow perfectly), I went into the normal eating plan, alternating “satisfying” and “energizing” days.  I’ve now lost 13 pounds total. My clothes fit normally again and, because my stomach is smaller, my diastasis recti looks smaller.  (So I don’t look as pregnant.  Sigh.)  Note that I don’t always follow the plan perfectly.  If we’re having a special meal, birthday dessert, are at a potluck, or I’m eating at someone else’s house - I’m not afraid to eat things not on the plan. 

wild sunflowers along our road


The Trim Healthy Mama book is huge and full of recipes and ideas for meals and snacks.  (Plus really good information on other things, such as hormonal issues.)  The recipes are things my whole family can eat - I don’t need to eat “special meals.”  (I don’t have time to cook separate meals anyway.)  We’ve have some family supper favorites from the book, including: Fantastic Meat Loaf (p. 316), Coconut Crusted Chicken (p. 322), and Crockpot Italian Style Chicken (p. 315).

I know at least one person that finds this book confusing.  There must be some others out there, because on September 15th, the authors are releasing a new book which is supposed to be a condensed and simpler to understand version of the plan: Trim Healthy Mama Plan: The Easy-Does-It Approach to Vibrant Health and a Slim Waistline.  On that same day, they are also releasing another cookbook, which I am looking forward to Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook: Eat Up and Slim Down with More than 350 Healthy Recipes. 

Finally, there is a Trim Healthy Mama website filled with information and videos at:   www.trimhealthymama.com .  They also have their own online shop now where you can order sweeteners, glucomannan, zero calorie noodles, etc.  They also sell some good skin products.  (Click here for the direct store link, or go to the Trim Healthy Mama sidebar at the right of this blog.)

If you can’t stand the taste of stevia - try their Gentle Sweet - it tastes SOOOOO good its hard to not eat it by the spoonful!)

Well, I’m off to go eat a few chunks of Skinny Chocolate (p. 371)!

Do you follow the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan?  If so - what is your favorite recipe in their book?

the wild sunflowers are beautiful scattered in vases around the house
 


My One Week Fuel Cycle menu (B = breakfast; S= snack; L = lunch; D = dinner):

Day 1:
B - eggs, sausage
S - lemon mousse (p. 367) (order glucomannan here)
L - crispy salmon (p. 283), chunk of sharp cheddar cheese
S - lettuce & turkey deli meat roll up, meringues (p. 370)
D - green salad (with oil/vinegar dressing), taco meat, skinny chocolate (p. 371)

Day 2:
B - basic whey smoothie (p. 243), turkey bacon
S - lettuce & turkey deli meat roll up; chunk of sharp cheddar cheese
L - fat stripping frappa (p. 240) (see my blogpost with recipe here)
S - skinny chocolate
D - green salad, crispy salmon, meringues

Day 3:
B - eggs, sausage
S - turkey deli meat, meringues
L - crispy salmon, cheese
S - lemon mousse
D - big green salad with strips of chicken, skinny chocolate

Day 4:
B - cookie bowl oatmeal with berries (p. 233)
S - 2 Wasa crackers with Laughing Cow (Creamy Swiss Light) cheese spread on them; turkey deli meat
L - Gorton’s grilled tilapia, Konjac noodles with parmesan cheese, meringues
S - Fat Stripping Frappa
D - green salad with mozzarella cheese (lemon juice for dressing), soup (chicken broth, chunks of chicken breast, seasonings), lemon mousse

Day 5:
B - Greek yogurt with berries and whey powder mixed in
S - 2 Wasa crackers with Laughing Cow (Creamy Swiss Light) cheese spread on them; turkey deli meat
L - egg white omelet (p. 217), Konjac noodles with parmesan cheese
S - Fat Stripping Frappa
D - green salad with mozzarella cheese (lemon juice for dressing), ground turkey with marinara sauce & 1 Tbsp. parmesan over Konjac noodles

Day 6:
B - yogurt with 1 Tbsp. Polaner All-Fruit
S - chicken deli meat; apple
L - Trim Healthy pancakes (p. 223) topped with Greek yogurt and berries
S - scrambled egg whites, Trim Healthy pan bread (p. 266)
D - green salad, tuna, Trim Healthy pan bread

Day 7:
B - Trim Healthy pancakes with Greek yogurt and berries, turkey bacon
S - tuna,  Wasa cracker, apple
L - Trim Healthy pan bread, chicken, apple
S - Wasa cracker, chicken deli meat
D - green salad, chana dahl burgers (p. 339), quinoa

Repeat for a second week.

4 comments:

  1. Good job!!! I came home from Tennesse 10 pounds heavier😳 I always seem to gain weight there ...a lot of fried food, white flour and sugar. I found the trim healthy mama book very confusing it takes the joy out of eating for me. I think my extra pounds will fall off quickly because I jumped right back into my superclean eating and I'm looking forward to getting back to the gym. I checked out both those links- great resources, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's about impossible to go on vacation and NOT gain weight! Especially surrounded by yummy fried foods and dessert. :) Tesha you eat so well - with all your superfoods and the way you eat - I'm sure you'll have no problem losing the weight. Are you still juicing?

      Delete
  2. Just getting back to jucing and making smoothies. Right now I am loving coconut milk, blueberries, cherries and a ton of greens, I add a bit of Stevia to make it sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that sounds delicious! I'll have to try that smoothie!

    ReplyDelete