caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Solomon's surgery

Solomon and I left home in the wee hours this morning and arrived at Rex Hospital at 5:30 a.m.  He was fascinated how long it stayed dark in the mornings!  (He usually doesn't wake up until after 7:00.)  Today was the day he was scheduled to have the cyst on his cheek removed.

There was lots of checking in and waiting in different locations in the hospital:

Solomon and Lammy (confiscated from Tabby) in the 2nd waiting area
After about an hour it was time to go to pre-op.  The nurse asked lots of questions and then gave Solomon a most fashionable hospital outfit to wear:

super sporty socks
double ID bracelets - I got to wear one too
The nurse brought him a blanket that had been warmed - he loved it!:

Solomon and I had a lot of fun talking each other while we waited.  It occurred to me that that was something that we rarely had - extended and uninterrupted talk time!  He asked some questions about Lilly at the hospital.

 The anaesthesiologist was concerned about how Solomon would react when they took him away from me so she gave him some sort of relaxing medicine to drink.  He got a bit silly from it.  Another nurse then pushed Solomon on his hospital bed with wheels to the surgery area.  He thought a bed with wheels was pretty interesting!  I got to walk with them and then stay until time for surgery.  They were very punctual and took him at 7:15 - right when they said they would.

Surgery took about an hour or so, and then the surgeon came to talk to me.  He said that when he cut in to remove Solomon's cyst, he found that there was a second one starting to grow, below the first.  So he removed that too.  (Pathology is testing them to be sure there was nothing malignant.)  Because he had to make a bigger incision than planned, he used regular stitches to sew up Solomon's cheek.  He will have the stitches removed on Monday.

Apparently when Solomon woke up, he started asking for me.  A nurse came to get me as soon as they thought it was OK to bring me back to him.  Another nurse was standing and holding him and he was so groggy but his expression was "Who in the world are you and why are you holding me?"  They had me climb right up on his bed and then handed him to me.  Awwww ... he was extra snuggly. 

Then an older nurse pushed us to another department.  She was super fast!  I felt like we were flying down the hallways on that bed with wheels.  Solomon's cuteness brought all sorts of smiles and waves to him from people walking by.

Then he got a little time to recover:


A couple nurses complimented him on being so good during the whole process.  One said he was the best behaved 3 year old they had ever had in there.  (Score!  That was a "mommy moment" for sure!)  Another said if all little kids acted like Solomon, then she would be happy to work in pediatrics.  (I guess most kids are probably really scared while there.  Solomon was some - but he is like me - and holds in his emotions pretty well.)

Then it was time to have a small snack, get dressed, and then leave the hospital!  We got rolled out in a wheel chair.  That was a bit weird to me but they insisted I sit in it and hold him.  We drove out of the hospital parking lot at 10:00!

The inflated glove was a turkey - Solomon thought it was so neat
He fell asleep on the drive home and then napped for a couple hours.  His face was a bit sore when he ate and he was slower and wanted to be held more than usual.  But I think his recovery is going nicely.

Thank you so much, all of you, that prayed for him!

7 comments:

  1. Dearest sweet one. I love you
    mj

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay, Solomon! Heal quick, quick, quick! I'll be saying prayers for an easy recovery.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lisa I am sure this was tough on you. I think it is really cool how they included you by having you ride in his bed and sit in the wheelchair and all. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! I think the nurses were really good at that. (And it helped that Lilly was only in that hospital once - for just one overnight.)

      Delete
  4. Oh so glad to read it went well! I know it was scary for you my Little Jimmy had surgery at 3 and it was terrifying. I have no been blogging and I miss reading and seeing pics of your family! DO you have an Instagram account I am on there much more these days because it is easy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my! Well it's obvious Little Jimmy recovered well from that surgery. He seems like an amazing young man! :) No I don't have Instagram - but have started to consider an account. I'll look you up if I do get one!

      Delete