caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

That's not on my list!

Waking up this past Saturday morning I had great intentions about all the things I would accomplish.  Everything was written in my "daily docket".  (That's the fancy name for my daily to-do list.)  Yes I am a list maker.  One of those weird list makers that adds on things I've done already just so I can cross them off.  (That's bonus accomplishment!)  Of course with a baby, and a clingy baby at that!, I try to keep my daily expectations realistic.  But still, I think I would panic if I did not wake up with a pre-written or mental list of some things to-do.  However I am realistic enough to know that there are plenty of days where not one thing will be checked off.

 Years ago I loved reading the Arnold Lobel's Frog and Toad stories, to Tabby and am now reading them to Hunter.  There are several that make us laugh so hard.  Frog and Toad are best friends.  Frog is always cheerful and Toad is so melancholy. 

One story that we really like is in the book Frog and Toad Together and it is called "The List."  (We are a whole family of list makers so even Hunter appreciated this story.)  Toad wakes up one morning and writes "a list of things to do today."  Then he carefully crosses off each thing as he accomplishes it.  However, when he is about halfway done with his list, a strong wind blows the list out of his hand. 

"Help! cried Toad.  "My list is blowing away.  What will I do without my list?" 

Hurry!" said Frog.  "We will run and catch it."

"No!" shouted Toad.  "I cannot do that."

"Why not" asked Frog.

"Because," wailed Toad, "running after my list is not one of the things that I wrote on my list of things to do!"

Saturday turned out to be a major "this is not on my list!" kind of day.  It started with me finding that a mouse (or mice) had been into my bags of rice, flour, and beans in a cabinet.  Then finding mice evidence on the kitchen counters.  I thought "BLAH!" echoing one of Toad's favorite expressions, "this was not on my list!"  I began cleaning and pouring bagged stuff into jars.  Then Solomon started crying - he had rolled over during his nap and woke himself up.  A 30 minute nap for my baby?  That was not on my list!  Then a cabinet door fell of it's hinges.  Not on my list!  Then when I hurriedly went to vacuum, Hunter pointed out it needed emptying.  That was not on my list!  Etc. etc.  Remembering Toad at least helped me keep my sense of humor.

The next morning, Hunter showed Frank where Solomon had broken part of the dishwasher a few days previously and I couldn't figure out how to repair it.  (Frank had been out of town most of the week at the annual Association of Classical Christian Schools conference and Hunter was most anxious to have the part fixed.)  Frank worked at it for awhile but was having trouble.  He sighed and said "This was not on my list for today."  I had to smile.

Hunter is wondering ... will Solomon be a list maker?  :)

 
What about you?  Do you like making lists?  Do you have a favorite place to write them down?  :)

3 comments:

  1. I AM a list maker!! I get more done when I have a list to follow. When I don't make a list I am lost and I find a waste a whole day!! AND I too will add things I've already done that day so I can cross them off. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Something else we have in common. :) I too waste days without my list. :)

      Delete
  2. I'm like you, I like to make lists and include things I have already done! I have grocery lists galore and I wish I had saved some when my boys were younger, it would be interesting to see the evolution of food in our home! Also I adore Frog and Toad and Little Bear. There's one story in Little Bear which is so poignant, I can't even read it without losing it. Maybe I need to write about that! I'm so glad you keep writing, you have a story, a gift and a message to share! Love!

    ReplyDelete