caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Monday, April 6, 2015

Easter experiments with marshmallow Peeps

I don't think I will ever go through an Easter day without remembering how cute Lilly looked in her bunny hat.  The bunny hat is now tops my Lilly tree (April's theme is lilies and crosses):


And of course I can't post that picture without posting several of Lilly herself wearing her bunny hat.  I remember that she was pretty grumpy at me for putting her in that basket!  She wore that same dress with her bunny hat to church on Easter Sunday 2011.  The one Easter we were blessed to have her with us.




I used to like decorating for holidays with a lot of decorations.  Now all that feels too overwhelming and burdensome and makes the house even more cluttery looking.  So if I put up a wreath and decorate my mantle, and of course Lilly's tree, then that is enough. 



Last Friday, for our science experiment, Hunter and I had fun using marshmallow Peeps.  I have had a box of them on my pantry shelf since last year (!) that I had bought with the intention of making one of those cute Peeps miniatures.  But it never happened.  So when I came across experiments to do with Peeps on Pinterest, I decided to sacrifice those cute marshmallow chicks.  (Note that all the follow experiments originally appeared on this blog.)

First was the microwave experiment.  I asked Hunter what he predicted would happen if we cooked Peeps in the microwave for 1 minute.  (He said they would melt.)  Into the microwave two chicks went! 


We were surprised at how BIG they puffed up while cooking.  Then when they were done and I opened the door they looked bloated like this:


They also stunk really bad!  A pretty-awful-burned-marshmallow-smell.  I went ahead and took them outside and put them into the trash can.

Next we got 4 bowls, put a Peep in each one, and then filled each bowl with a different liquid.  We used:  water, vinegar, milk, and apple juice.  (This is one time I wished there was soda in the house - that would have been a good one to use.)  We talked about which liquid might dissolve the Peeps the fastest.


Uh guess what.  None of the liquids actually dissolve Peeps!  The milk and water made some of the coloring come off.  But the next morning, those marshmallow chicks were still floating around and nothing had changed.  However, we did have one completely unexpected result ...  ANTS:



Note that the ants preferred the apple juice!  None liked the vinegar ... surprise surprise ...

Our last experiment used two of the cheapest, most exciting ingredients ever to be combined:  vinegar and baking soda.  Seriously!  Hunter would keep combining these two things for hours if I let him.  Three Peeps, sprinkle in baking soda, and pour on the vinegar:




All that wonderful fizzing and bubbling did nothing to the Peeps other than to makes some of the green coloring come off.  So we decided to up it and drop in a few Alka Seltzer tablets:



Lots more fizzing!  But ... no changes.  Even today - 3 days later - the Peeps look the exact same.  (Though the bubbles are gone and they are floating in smooth liquid.) 

This has led Hunter and I to conclude:  "YUCK!  Is it even possible for Peeps to dissolve in our stomachs?!" 

I will never look at Peeps the same.  ;)

"The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in him, and he helps me. My heart leaps for joy, and with my song I praise him." - Psalm 28:7

3 comments:

  1. Ohhhh! Beautiful pictures of Lilly....AND I love the science experiment! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwww Lily loks so adorable dressed up for Easter!!! WOW those are great experiments I have to admit I really lack in the experiment arena. I always feel they are to much work and to messy. BUT you make them look east and fun in this post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about the science experiments! They always seem like they're going to be such a hassle. But Hunter LOVES science and so I try to force myself to find some sort of experiment for him to do every Friday. (I love the kits best so I don't have to gather everything up.)

      Delete