caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Thursday, October 8, 2015

Hunter's Bright Lights - covering a lampshade with fabric

Hunter has been busy assembling some more vintage mason jar lamps.  We've decided that cute/interesting lampshades really make the lamps look better overall.  But wow - they're too expensive for us and would really knock up the price of the lamps, making them less affordable to others.

So I had the idea of covering some plain lampshades with fabric.  We bought these lampshades at Walmart for just under $5.00 each.


Then I went "shopping" in my box of fabrics.  I pulled out some of my favorite fabrics, hoping that someone else might like them too.  Then we watched a couple of videos on YouTube on how to cover lampshades with fabric.  The people made it look so easy!!  (hahaha ...)

I started with the first step - making a paper pattern of the lampshade.  This turned out to be the hardest part!  I think that is because our shades were shaped a bit differently than the ones used in the videos.

I cut out the fabric, using the pattern.  Ironed each piece.  Then took them, one at a time, outside to spray adhesive onto the back of fabric.  Then rolled the lampshade across the material covered with the adhesive.  This part was a little tricky as sticky fabric can act like SaranWrap and get all stuck together.  Ugh!  But it stays sticky for quite awhile so I could keep repositioning it without problems. 

Finally I was done.  It really didn't take that long.


Next, Hunter assembled the light kits.  You can buy kits already put together, but they are about $13.00 each.  I found these on amazon.com and they were 3 for $21.85.  (Hunter didn't like the dark electrical cords as much, but at $7.28 each, they were just such a bargain.)



Hunter's completed lights!


My little business man will be selling these for only $28.00 each (or $33.00 for a base full of "gems") at an upcoming event.


Jesus said, "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life." - John 8:12

1 comment: