caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Friday, December 11, 2015

The book list - November + Facebook fraud

Earlier this week, another Trisomy mom contacted me to ask if a particular Facebook page was mine.  I clicked on it and stared at it in surprise.  It had my first and last name, and pictures of Lilly!  It said I "worked" at the "Trisomy 18 Foundation."  WHAT??  I messaged my friend back and told her that was NOT me. 

First - I don't use my regular name on Facebook.  Second - I have no idea who dared to use pictures of my child without permission!  Ugh.

We both reported it to Facebook and Facebook responded that they reviewed the case but didn't find anything wrong with it.  How frustrating is that?  How can I proved that the person pretending to be me is not me?  Perhaps the impostor knows we are on to them though, because the page is down.  Along with another one under "Lilly Eva."

Isn't that just disgusting?  To pose as someone else, and use pictures of their child for what must be some sort of personal gain?  I absolutely can not understand it.

When I started this blog, I actually felt very nervous about going public - making a site that anyone in the world could see.  But I decided I wanted to chronicle Lilly's life publicly so that people could pray for her and also to share information with any one else who had a child with Trisomy 18.  Both of those goals were accomplished and I've met Trisomy parents from all over the world this way.  So I am glad.  But if only there was a way to weed out the wrong people.

Sigh.  At least I am thankful that there was nothing nasty or cruel on the fake Facebook accounts.

Solomon riding big sister's shoulders

Trim Healthy Mama Plan: the easy-does-it approach to vibrant health and a slim waistline by Pearl Barrett & Serene Allison - This book is a condensed and simplified version of the Trim Healthy Mama eating plan.  It really was much easier to understand!  (And it's not just for mamas - the plan works for all men and women too.)  The book thoroughly explains the "satisfying" (protein with fat) and "energizing" (protein with carb) ways to eat.  It also includes helpful chapters for those who like food shortcuts, those who work outside the home, those on a tight budget, pregnant/nursing mamas, those who have trouble losing weight, vegetarians, allergen-free people, etc!  There is also a chapter on exercise and another on skin care. (Several chapters on hormones - which are very helpful - were not included.  You have to get the original book for those - Trim Health Mama.)

The companion cookbook -Trim Healthy Mama Cookbook: Eat Up and Slim Down with More than 350 Healthy Recipes - is excellent.  We have liked everything I've made from it.  And I have many many more recipes to try.  I am not a foodie but even I am inspired to cook by the appealing photos in the book!

Solomon drew a picture of his "Getting-Trim Healthy Mama" ... me!

Clutterfree with Kids:  Change Your Thinking, Discover New Habits, Free Your Home by Joshua Becker -I have days when all the stuff around our house completely overwhelms me to the point of wanting to cry.  Here is our living room on one of those days:

Mr. Inventor surrounded by pieces and parts for his newest creations - and some of little brother's toys
Actually that's our living room on most days - and in the photo it looks better than normal!  Much of the time it doesn't bother me because I am glad that Hunter is busy and learning.  But then I step on little screws or tiny parts with bare feet and it hurts!  Or I can't find a place to sit down for a minute.  Or Solomon can't figure out how to leave the room from where he has become trapped in the corner.  (We're still working on learning to keep walkways!)  Plus our living room just frustrates me because I can't figure out how to arrange the furniture properly.  (Not to long ago, Tabby and I spent part of a Sunday moving furniture all around but really couldn't find a good solution.)

Wah wah wah.  Right?  Clutterfree with Kids is written by a man who is the founder of the website Becoming Minimalist.  After spending way too many years dealing with too much stuff taking up his time, he and his family became minimalists.  They never looked back.  I used to think of minimalists as people that have very bare, stark, boring homes.  But I've learned that there really is a range.  This book is filled with practical application and inspirational stories to help you reevaluate your life and thereby change your thinking, discover new habits, and free your home.  I found the book an interesting and motivational read.

Hunter having fun and doing an experiment checking how water conducts electricity

aluminum foil is hooked to wires which are hooked to some thing he has which includes a battery and beeper - when foil touched the water it made an alarm go off
Recently an incident happened here that showed me - loudly and clearly - CLUTTER LIMITS POSSIBILITIES.  As I keep thinking about that incident, I am super motivated to continue cleaning up and clearing out around here.  I want to keep things that are needed, useful, and that are just pretty and bring me joy.  And of course stuff for Hunter to experiment with!  (And a lot of that can be thrown out after awhile.)

things that aren't useful but are pretty and bring me joy - my glitter churches and reindeer boxes
The more I get rid of excess stuff and clean up the piles around here, the better I feel.  Physically, emotionally, and even spiritually.  I still got a long way to go, but at least I'm going in the right direction.

"For God is not a God of disorder but of peace. . . ." - 1 Corinthians 14:33

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I can't believe someone would post under yours and Lilliy's name! That is actually scary...

    But as for the books, I love the idea of minimalizing. Yes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please email me with the details so we can also report this person! Obviously they DO NOT work at the Foundation. We have a direct relationship with Facebook as a NPO and will put an end to this for you. Email me at vjmiller@trisomy18.org.

    ReplyDelete