caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Chores by the days of the week

In Little House in the Big Woods, Laura Ingalls Wilder remembered that her Ma had certain work assigned to each day, which she would begin after the regular morning chores were done:

"Wash on Monday,
Iron on Tuesday,
Mend on Wednesday,
Churn on Thursday,
Clean on Friday,
Bake on Saturday,
Rest on Sunday."     


This was very typical of how previous generations tackled their chores.  We can actually get more done when we stay focused on particular types of work each day. 

Several years ago, I got a set of "days of the week" towels which I love.  Especially the Friday towel that shoes the bunny getting into the cookie jar!  (I'm assuming that's "baking day.")


I thought about this concept again last year when I re-read Large Family Logistics by Kim Brenneman.  I even came up with a written plan for my days.  But I never bothered to follow through.  I do way too much living flying by the seat of my pants and with seemingly almost constant interruptions from my little ones, I find it hard to stay focused on things.

In January, life got crazy around here with all the sickness.  Coughs/colds, followed by flu, then by pneumonia, and a hospital stay for Tabby.  Those weeks crawled by painfully slow.  I wasn't feeling well for much of it and just focused on taking care of my sicker kids and making meals.

Then when everyone was well enough to start school again, I knew it was time to get back to normal.  But what was normal?  The house was like an explosion and I felt overwhelmed every where I looked.  I had no idea where to start because I wanted to do everything at once.

Then I thought about my "days of the week" list for chores that I made last year and decided it was time to really give it a try.


I'm now about a month into it, and it is working really well.  I don't have any chore time until the afternoon, because we have school in the morning and then eat a late lunch.  But I do have a couple hours after lunch, before it's time for afternoon animal care and then making supper.  I have found it is much easier for me to stay focused on certain types of work, rather than flitting from one thing to another.  I seem to really be getting more done overall.


I know I always like seeing how other people order their days, because it might give me ideas on how to better attack mine.  So, I will share my "days of the week" below.  But just keep in mind that not all of these chores happen every week!  And some days - NONE of those chores happen.

Monday - Organizing / Tidying Day -
    - rooms, closets, cabinets, shelves (decluttering)
    - tidy/straighten each room

Tuesday - Kitchen Day -
    - baking, food prep
    - menu planning
    - cleaning appliances, counters, and cabinets

Wednesday - Cleaning Day -
    - floors
    - bathroom
    - dusting

Thursday - Office Day -
    - online orders, research, planning
    - back up photos/files
    - filing

Friday - Town / Laundry / Business Day -
    - grocery shopping
    - wash clothes, ironing
    - make things to sell or post things on Ebay
    - writing

Saturday - Homeschool Prep / Deep Cleaning Day -
    - Hunter’s school work for next week
    - Solomon’s Montessori work
    - deep cleaning (by zone)


"For God is not a God of disorder but of peace ...." - 1 Corinthians 14:33

No comments:

Post a Comment