caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Friday, July 15, 2011

Lights, bells, and whistles



I'm one of those parents that thinks that toys that demand imagination from my children are best. Blocks, dolls, toy cars, lots of craft supplies, etc. I don't generally think noisy flashy toys are good for children's minds.

Enter Lilly's pink laptop.

Shortly before Lilly's birthday I was talking to her physical therapist about toys that would be good for her. I had noticed she paid more attention to toys that had flashing lights and turned towards sounds. So I went looking for toys that flashed and made noises.

I didn't really find anything. But then God blessed us through a sweet mama of a little girl with Trisomy 18, named Emily. (Emily is FIVE years old!!) For Lilly's recent birthday, this mama sent Lilly a pink laptop that has flashing lights and sings and talks. She said that it was Emily's favorite toy.

And now I think it is probably Lilly's too. She really likes when we hold her and put the laptop in her lap and put her hand over the buttons so she can push them. I don't know if she's connected what she's doing yet, but she is quite interested and stays focused for awhile.

So what do I - Mrs. Picky Toy Lady think of the laptop? I love it! I thrills me to see Lilly interested in something and know that for her, this is just the kind of toy she needs.

My son loves to help Lilly push the buttons on the laptop. He likes to play with it by himself too. He likes to tell me he needs to play with "something with a lot of buttons." I usually tell him it's fine for him to play with Lilly's laptop for a little while. He then proceeds to "send e-mails" and "work" for a little while.


I love this last picture of my son holding Lilly's hand. He loves her so much and frequently tells her that during each day.

Lilly got a happy birthday e-mail from B.P., an employee at Focus on the Family. (She is the one that we communicated with for Tammy Tate's booklet "Gift of a Lifetime." You can read a description of the booklet and get the link to order it by going to the right side of my blog and scrolling down.) Lilly is one of the babies pictured in the booklet. B.P. shared a verse that made her think of Lilly:

"Day by day the Lord takes care of the innocent, and they will receive an inheritance that lasts forever." - Psalm 37:18

What a comfort.

6 comments:

  1. What a wonderful teaching tool for both Lilly and her brother. She gets to learn from him how to play with the toy and he gets to learn how to lovingly. patiently and sweetly give of himself.
    I think HE is learning the greater lesson.
    It is in the giving that we receive.
    I also LOVE the verse.
    Shisshy

    ReplyDelete
  2. It always seems like kids with special needs (at least my son Michael) really enjoy toys with buttons that have a cause and effect action, even if the effect is only light and sound. Think of it as early training for the use of a augmentative communication device in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a great great toy! There are also a few others that can be "activated" very easily if kiddos can't manipulate smaller buttons. I totally agree with you about kids using their imaginations but at times just peeking their interest with something going off/making noise will get them moving! There's a Giraffe toy by the same brand as the laptop that is also a big hit!! So Happy Lilly is enjoying it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww... I did think when I was reading it about H.'s favorite.... I wanted to crack up thinking about it-it's so him! Great pictures!

    T.

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautiful pictures, miss lilly!

    love,
    mah mah

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it's awesome that you are able to be adaptable to each of your children's needs. The Lord is using your family and we will be praying for your husband's dad in the coming days.

    ReplyDelete