caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Friday, July 29, 2011

Figuring out the chocolate and Karo tip


OK, so I got Lilly the super healthy chocolate. (See my July 12 post ) My other two children and I had to do a taste test first, to makes sure it was suitable for Lilly. YUM! Passed the test. So I've been melting it for Lilly. What does Lilly think? Well - she's not in love with it. But she doesn't dislike it either. She prefers eating it off my finger rather than from a spoon. I think the main issue with the chocolate is that it is pretty thick when melted. Not too easy for her to work with. Thought it's good to practice. I've been experimenting with mixing in breastmilk with it to try and make the consistency easier for her.

One thing that happens every time is that she seems to get some stuck on the roof of her mouth. She has a very high roof, so it can be quite awhile before it all gets swallowed, or drooled out.

On a different note, the wife of one of my nephews told me about an old remedy for baby constipation. (Unfortunately quite a problem in the Trisomy 18 world.) A capful of Karo syrup! I couldn't believe I was buying corn syrup, since I try to avoid it in all food I buy, but I figured it was better than the medication usually prescribed. Lilly got a little bit this morning (added into her milk) and 5 hours later - major relief. Ha!

11 comments:

  1. Carol in New ZealandJuly 29, 2011 at 7:45 PM

    Dear Lilly and Mummy,
    I am enormously in awe of your lives. Mummy you are an amazing educator and writer and mother. You have enhanced my life so much and I think of you dear Lilly every day. I have your photo on my desktop to remind me of the bravery of you all. Love and hugs from Carol in New Zealand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Autumn struggles with constipation too. Do you know if this remedy is recommended for babies without Trisomy 18?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm guessing you already know this, but apple juice is also good for constipation. And if it got very bad the little baby glycerin suppositories always worked really well for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, this remedy works for typical kids, too! Depending on autumn's age, two or three dried apricots work also.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for your continued prayers for our family. I am humbled and awed at how many people God has lifting us up in prayer. It is truly amazing to see how many lives our precious Alegria touched.

    And I'm enjoying reading about your sweet Lilly on your blog. Another constipation remedy that works great is blackstrap molasses. Its packed with calories and vitamins too. Ali used to have a terrible time with constipation too until we started giving her a tablespoon or 2 of molasses each day.

    Thanks again.
    Jill

    ReplyDelete
  6. just come to mah mah's house...
    the "house of cleansing."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could she take prunes? You could puree them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a sweet and tender mama you are, nothing but the best for your Lilly! You are creating such a wonderful resource for other T18 families, praise the Lord for your heart and service.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Okay, now EVERYONE knows our family 'preoccupation.' Yep, Mah Mah's house always does it for me.

    Lilly, Moriah and I didn't like Chocolate when were were little either.

    Shish

    ReplyDelete
  10. We saw this corn syrup idea and have begun using it with Faith...lovely idea. It seems to be working very well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My child is constipated for last 3 days. She is suffering from constipation seriously. It can't poop well and got pain her anal. My family doctor said that Karo Syrup for Infant Constipation is very good also you can use milk of magnesia. But I want some advice from you please tell me how can I remove constipation form my child forever.

    ReplyDelete