caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Wednesday, November 6, 2013

A little farm update

Tabby had me take this picture a few days ago.  She was one proud mama when her prized Silkie Bantam named Shiny began laying cute little eggs.

I'm sad to share that today Shiny was killed by East, the Great Pyrenees and goat protector.  To say Tabby was devastated is an understatement.  You can read her post here with all the details and lots of pictures that will even make you smile.  (If you do read her post, please leave her a comment.  It would mean so much to her!)


This is East. She's a beautiful dog sitting here looking all innocent.  But she and her sister West are seasoned chicken killers.  Their job is to protect the goats.  But if a chicken gets in their pen - that chicken is food to them.

Today East managed to escape the pen THREE times.  The first two times were before the chickens were out for the day.  Tabby found a hole in the fence and we fixed it.  We thought that was that.  But then in the middle of math today, she suddenly got a "mama's intuition" that something was wrong outside.  She went out and returned shortly crying.  East was lose again and had just eaten Shiny's head off.  (Like Tabby really needed to see that.  Thanks a lot East.)

So Tabby hooked East to a long cable and I buried Shiny by the other 2 Silkies that were recently killed.

I told Tabby that today I added two new things to my resume:  learned to fix a fence and buried my first chicken.  (She and Frank had done all the burying until today.)  Yep.  My life continues to become more different than I ever imagined it would be.  Here is Tabby during our fence fixin' time getting some supervision from Daisy the goat:


Hunter has been taking a big interest in helping with the animals more.  His favorite thing is to help collect chicken eggs:




He also fills up a watering can from the rain barrels and uses the water to fill the chicken waterers around the yard:



Finally, just an interesting aside, do you know what shape a goat's pupils are?  I didn't either until we started taking care of the L family's goats.  They are rectangular!  Check out these pictures of Christa and Daisy and look at their eyes:




The older I get, the more amazed I am at the creativity of God.

No comments:

Post a Comment