caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Funny animals are "good medicine" AND more on July 4th

I was fighting depression off and on last week.  I know it was simply that "anniversary depression" because of Miss Lilly's birthday.  Yesterday something highly amusing to me happened, and that seemed to "bring me back" and I've been feeling OK since.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones." - Proverbs 17:22

What happened was that yesterday morning, the boys and I walked the perimeter of the goat area, to be sure the fence was OK and all looked well.  One of our dogs, Dixie, came along with us as usual.  But then we were joined by an unlikely companion - our rooster Chanticleer.  As we entered the path into the woods, I figured the rooster would turn around in a minute or so.  But he did not!  That rooster proceeded to follow us the entire route, which took a good 10 minutes since we stopped to look at things a couple times.  Chanticleer even kept up a quick pace, following us at a jog.  It just struck me as something so hilarious since I've only taken dogs for walks.  A rooster going for a walk?  Chanticleer did stop once and when he went off the path, Dixie took it upon herself to quickly bark at him and herd him back to the path.  Hunter and I were cracking up.  :)

We are enjoying all the goats, though sadly one had to be put down last week.  Topaz had a messed up leg and it wasn't getting any better.  So the L family came and got her.  Another nanny goat - Nausette - is still quite sick.  I've been using some of Lilly's syringes to squirt water mixed with probiotics into her throat, and also giving her a really strong dewormer.  Since the antibiotic we gave her recently didn't help, we've ruled out pneumonia, and think it's bad parasites in her lungs.  The kids have been praying faithfully for Nausette's healing so that she doesn't have to be put down too.  I learned so much medically in caring for Lilly and honestly am enjoying this "outlet" in caring for this sick goat.  I am sure that sounds weird, but that's how I feel.  Though I do hope she gets better quickly of course!

Tabby is such a mama to our chickens still.  I often glance out the window and see her micro-managing them.  I most enjoy seeing her chase them!  She loves holding them.  You can see how big they've gotten in this picture.


Well that's our "farm update."  I thought I'd share a little more about our celebration of Independence Day / Lilly's birthday.

The day before the 4th, we stopped at the dollar store and bought birthday balloons.  Both Tabby and Hunter each picked out three, to release later at Lilly's grave.  While in line to pay, this elderly woman was talking to another woman in line about the birthday balloons that person was buying.  They were for a girl's birthday.  The elderly woman was very upbeat and turned to Tabby and said something to her about her balloons.  I heard Tabby respond "They are for my little sister."  The woman asked her how old her sister was turning.  Tabby told her that her sister would have been 3, but she was dead, and were taking them to her grave.  I glanced at the woman and our eyes locked.  I suddenly wanted to burst into tears so I was only about to smile a little.  The woman just got the most crestfallen look on her face.  She said quietly "That is a very sweet gesture" then stepped back in line and just stared at the floor. 

Later that day, one of the balloons Hunter had chosen blew right out the door of our vehicle.  I was so disappointed but Hunter cheerfully said "Lilly is getting a birthday balloon a day early!  See that balloon is going right up to her in heaven!"  Love his attitude.

On the morning of the 4th, I decorated the angel food cake I made for Lilly's birthday:




I dressed Solomon in his Lilly-colored outfit:


 Then we headed to the town of Belhaven for their parade.  While waiting we got to first hang out in my sister-in-law's bakery - Gingerbread Bakery.  YUM!!  Hunter and I both enjoyed Lilly-colored gingerbread men:




LillyBear was with us to watch the parade:


My mother-in-law was in the parade representing the Pantego Academy Historical Museum, this year dressed as an Indian:


After the parade we had lunch, sang happy birthday to Lilly, and enjoyed her cake.  My previous post has pictures of our balloon release at Lilly's grave.

When we got home that evening, I had a special surprise in Lilly's garden.  Some red lily flowers had opened up that day.  A "hello I'm doing great!" from Lilly maybe?



No comments:

Post a Comment