caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Friday, April 4, 2014

Quick chick update

The poor little chick I mentioned in my last post, didn't make it through the night.  Tabby buried Sunni (the name we gave it) by her famous prideful rooster, Chanticleer.  She blogged about the little chick, and her new Silkie Bantum chicks, in her post yesterday.

My Precious got to take her adopted biddies outside yesterday.  She was a very proud, watchful mama.  It was so cute seeing the little chicks scratching the grass alongside her and following her everywhere.



I feel like we're getting a crash course in baby chicks with problems.  (In a way it was like the crash medical course we got with learning to take care of Lilly and her special needs.)  After Sunni's death, we decided to pull out the remaining eggs under My Precious because they were over a week too old we didn't think anything would happen.  But as I started to get rid of the eggs, I heard a very distinct "peep! peep!" coming from an egg.  Oh my - I certainly couldn't toss those eggs then. 

So I set them up in a box, under a heat lamp.  One was already starting to hatch.  (see middle egg below)  Hunter and I excitedly watched it off and on throughout the morning.  The chick seemed energetic as it slowly pecked it's way out of it's shell.  And it was "peeping" like crazy!  So of course we named it Peeps.  However, about noon, it suddenly stopped.  We were hoping it was just napping.  But hours later we had to admit it was dead.  :(


There was a live chick in the egg with the big crack (left side in photo) but it too was dead by afternoon.  I "egg-topsied" the remaining eggs and found they were half formed chicks that had stopped forming at some point  So sad.

Well, we'll focus on all the healthy animals around here now.  And we're looking forward to baby goats being born next month!

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, that is so sad! I can just see you trying to do everything you could to keep those chickies around! Your mama's heart is so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The pictures of the hen and biddies makes me want chickens!

    ReplyDelete