caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Monday, May 5, 2014

"Mama goat - why aren't you with your baby?"


Our new baby goat, named Pippin by Tabby, is a sweet cute little thing.  However, he has already developed a problem which has led to me spending time going through books and searching through my friend Google for help.

We noticed Friday that Pippin was not standing up a whole lot.  But that wasn't a worry because it can take a week or so for kids to be walking well.

But then Saturday Tabby noticed that when he did walk, he greatly favored his front right let.  As the day progressed, he wouldn't use that leg at all.  With a goat that often means the dreaded "hoof rot."  But hoof rot on a baby kid - just a few days old???  No where could I find anyone talking about it or what might be wrong.  (Hoof rot is an infectious disease that cattle can get, it causes lameness in their foot.  It is identified by a bad smell and gooey looking stuff in the hoof.)

I held the kid and Tabby, our resident goat hoof clipper, examined his hoof closely.  It reeked and part of the hoof was hanging out - like a fingernail that was half ripped off.  Usually the earliest you might need to start clipping a kids hooves is at 2 weeks old.  But of course Tabby went ahead and clipped off the hanging off part.  There was some bleeding then, but the little guy didn't seem bothered by it.  Thankfully we still had some medical supplies here from the L. family and there was a bottle for hoof treatment.  Tabby covered the little hoof in it, saying that was probably the grossest job she's ever done.

Hugs from Solomon

We've been keeping little Pippin under quarantine in a stall with fresh straw.  Since he nurses we keep his mama, Pippi, in there with him.  Yesterday we treated his hoof again and it really was looking better.  But he still wasn't interested in standing on it.  Lord willing, today he will continue to improve.

Pippin has already gotten taller.  Perhaps that is why he looks thin to me?  Are goat kids plump or skinny?  I don't know and was trying to research it last night but ran out of time.  Nothing like learning as we go.  :(

nursing times seem to be incredibly brief for baby goats
I wrote recently about what great mamas mother hens are.  (I'm still so impressed I've got a part two to that post coming up soon.)  Well as likable Pippi is, I have to say that she will never be in the running for the "mother of the year award."  Goat mothers are so different than mother hens!  That has taken some getting used to for Tabby and I.

We've been keeping frequent checks on the baby goat and unless Pippi is locked in the stall with Pippin, she seems to usually be off doing something else.  Tabby and I will say "Pippi!  Where is your baby?"  Then we find little Pippin curled up under the manger napping or just looking around.

Perhaps it is because of Pippin's hoof problem or just him being so young, but since he can walk - I just assumed he'd be staying at his mama's side.  Nope!  That's not the goatie way apparently.

I read that it was a good idea to have your baby goat wear a brightly colored collar because it wasn't unusual to "lose" the kid.  (The bright collar can help make them easier to spot.)  The kids will go off and snuggle up in some cozy little area and hunker down and even their mama won't be able to find them.  

When Pippin starts nursing on Pippi, she will stand there briefly, then (unless she happens to be eating) she'll just leap up in the air over him, and go on her way.  We had observed this when we first began caring for goats last year, but those babies were a few weeks older than Pip is now and I didn't worry about them.  But I find myself saying "Pippi!  Go back and nurse your poor baby.  Surely he needs more milk than that!"


Aren't you glad we don't serve a God that is lovable but completely distracted and usually focused on doing His own thing?!

"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.  Do not be afraid, do not be discouraged." - Deuteronomy 31:8


[Jesus speaking] ". . . And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age." - Matthew 28:20

Get ready for a kiss from Solomon, Pippin!
"See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are!" - 1 John 3:1

I had been disappointed around Easter time that I did not have the opportunity to buy an Easter lily.  Well yesterday I was very blessed because I got to bring home the seven Easter lilies that had been used at our church.  Frank and the boys planted them for me right near Lilly's garden.  They look beautiful and Lord willing, they will all grow and bloom again next year.



The graceful white beauty of a lily flower reminds me of our own beautiful Lilly.


No comments:

Post a Comment