caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Beautiful books

Last month, I received a beautiful book in the mail from Caleb's mom, called Far Flutterby (by Karen Kingsbury).  It is the story of a plain little caterpillar named Cody who lives in a plain land called Better-than-Brown.  He finds life is boring and yearns for something better, with more meaning. 

Then he learns of a wonderful place called Far Flutterby, and that God has an amazing plan for him.  Cody carries on through hard times, filled with this hope, until it's finally his time to transform into a beautiful butterfly and go to that beautiful land.

2nd picture:  Inside the book I taped in a picture of Caleb and his mommy.  Caleb lived from 3/20/09 - 8/29/11 with full Trisomy 18.  H. likes to tell Caleb "hello" whenever he sees his picture.  Then he wonders if Caleb lives near Lilly in heaven.

The message of Far Flutterby is wonderful and comforting.  I often end up with tears in my eyes thinking of Lilly, and Caleb, and the other children that have gone on to "Far Flutterby."  My son H. loves hearing this book over and over.  And we are happy to read it to him.  I think it is a wonderful gift book for anyone that has lost a child, or any loved one.

Another book that I really like, even though it always makes me cry (especially because of now being pregnant with our Rainbow Baby), is The Angel with the Golden Glow by Elissa Al-Chokhachy.  This book is based on a true story of a family who's first child was born with a "rare genetic neurological disorder."  It is the story of an angel being sent from heaven to be born into a family.  The family knows that baby won't be with them long and were sad.  The Angel with the Golden Glow doesn't understand why - he knows he was specially chosen and created special.  So he shined his "halo" brightly to cheer his parents up and fill them with love.  Finally he is gently taken back to heaven.  The family later receives comfort in the form of a new baby.  The new angel that had been created for them was called "The Angel with the Tender Heart."  This too is a wonderful gift book, though probably best for "Rainbow families."

Lilly's memorial garden has a couple of new beautiful blooms this week:



My aunt sent the craziest pair of flamingos I have ever seen, in memory of Lilly's birthday:



T. and I tend to name things after the people that gave them to us.  We're debating between the names of my aunt and uncle.  Or, after the large dog statutes flanking both sides of their porch:  Scarlett and Rhett. 

Finally here is a digital scrapbook page that T. made, featuring Lilly with her "boxing gloves."  (The "boxing gloves" were little hand splints to train her hands to open better.  It is very common for children with Trisomy 18 to clench their hands.  You can see my post about when Lilly first got her splints here.)



Don't forget - you can buy the My Memories Suite digitial software program and get $10 off by using the discount code that I have at the top right column of this blog. 


No comments:

Post a Comment