caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Thursday, August 22, 2013

Be An Angel Day

Today is officially "Be An Angel Day" according to the Holiday Insights website. Lilly was an angel both on earth and now in heaven!


I usually print out the "Holiday Insights" page for each month.  In the mornings, when I'm writing Tabby's school and chore schedule down for her, I write at the top of the page what day it is.  For example, besides today being "be an angel day" it is also "national tooth fairy day."  I like to add a quick, silly drawing to go with the day.  The kids and I are usually amused by these days.  There are a lot of weird days (ex. "National Mustard Day") but also some days are inspirational.  For "national ice cream sandwich day" we really did learn how to make ice cream sandwiches.  Yum!

Our schooling is very light these days as I am needing extra time to prepare for our new school year.  I just finished reading a homeschool book called Plan To Be Flexible by Alicia Kazsuk.  (The author blogs at The Vintage Creative.)  I found the book to be very very encouraging and useful.  The subtitle explains the book:  "Designing A Homeschool Year and Daily Schedule That Works For Your Family."  The book helps:

- analyze what's working (and what's not) in your homeschool
- learn the fine art of living within (but not under) a schedule
- develop a living, flexible curriculum plan for each student
- discover how to homeschool with joy and freedom

(that list is from the back cover)  The book is full of practical ideas, resources, and stories.  Even though I've been homeschooling for about 7 years now, I found this book very useful.  In fact, I know I'll be re-reading it a number of times!

So what have the kids been up to while I'm busy with school plans and organizing?

After reading all the Lord of the Rings books, Tabby has taken up archery:

 


Hunter got some more electronics to take apart from my brother P.  I think this is a laptop:


Solomon has been practicing climbing and continues to be obsessed with opening and closing cabinet doors.  Today it climbed right up into a cabinet!



Here's a little update about the farm animals.  The goats have eaten almost all the leaves they can reach, so we have been cutting branches off trees in our woods and giving it to them.  They get that in addition to their daily "Goat Chow" and hay.  (Yes you really can buy "Goat Chow".)



Solomon got hysterical laughing today at Krista stretching up to eat leaves:


The chickens are about full grown now.  We are checking the coop each day waiting on that first egg!


 Roadrunner is a (tiny!) rooster and is acting more and more "roosterly":



"This is the day the Lord has made; We will rejoice and be glad in it." - Psalm 118:24

4 comments:

  1. That book sounds AWESOME! I was just working on our schedule also and feeling a little overwhelmed. Your kids seem so imaginative and creative! Love the sweet pics of Solomon:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tesha! I pray your school preparations go well! You all have had one long summer of field trips! :)

      Delete
  2. I LOVE the precious picture of Lilly at the top! she is truly an angel! Seems as if all the kids are having a great end of the summer :)

    ReplyDelete