caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Thursday, September 12, 2013

A few natural (and cheap!) recipes


Jesus said:  "Treat others the way you want to be treated." - Matthew 7:12

Do you ever have days where you feel like you're quoting this verse to your kids constantly?  I hope I'm not alone!

I like natural products and enjoy making them.  Plus they usually save money too.  Recently while Tabby was having her piano lesson, her teacher's husband asked me how I killed fruit flies.  I responded that I didn't but should as our kitchen has been overwhelmed by them this summer.  He said that his method of killing the fruit flies last year did not work this year.  I asked what it was, he told me, and I came home and tried it.  It worked like a charm for us!  Much to his surprise and confusion when I told him the following week at piano lesson.

To make fruit fly killer, all you have to do is fill a little bowl with about an inch of apple cider vinegar, squirt in a little dish washing soap, and leave it on your kitchen counter.  I've been gleefully delighted with the rapidly growing body count of the fruit flies in our bowl!


I used to make my own laundry detergent, but now prefer soap nuts.  You can read my post about them here:  God made laundry detergent.  (You can get 10% the purchase of soap nuts by clicking through the top right Olive Shoot Institute ad and using Lilly10 as your discount code.)

The other day I made eye makeup remover using a recipe I found here.  I mixed: 
2 Tbsp witch hazel
2 Tbsp sweet almond oil (you can use the oil of your choice)
2 Tbsp filtered water
I also pierced a vitamin E capsule and squeezed the contents in.  Poured it all into a little glass jar and viola!

Speaking of oil, Tabby and I like this face cleanser I found here.  (More details in that link.)  I make it with a one-to-one ratio of castor oil and extra virgin olive oil, then add a few drops of tea tree oil to fight acne.  I wondered if the oil would make my skin feel oily but it doesn't.  Just soft and clean.

Finally I really like this all-purpose cleaner that I've been using in the kitchen.  I found it here.  In a spray bottle I mix:
1 tsp borax
1/2 tsp washing soda
1 tsp liquid castille soap
essential oils (your choice.  I use:  4 drops lemon, 4 drops lavender, 10 drops sweet orange)

What about this face - do you think it needs a cleaning?!

Who me?

the berry and veggie goatee
If you like making your own products, there are tons of recipes online.  You may have guessed by now, I am a book person.  Two books which I frequently use are:

The Naturally Clean Home:  150 Super-Easy Herbal Formulas for Green Cleaning by Karyn Siegel-Maier

Organic Body Care Recipes: 175 Homemade Herbal Formulas for Glowing Skin & a Vibrant Self by Stephanie Tourles

In the second book listed, I use recipes for toners and astringents that work well.  There are also facial cleanser recipes I really like though I've been using the oil one described above simply because it's faster.  There is also a lip balm recipe I like though I've adapted it by leaving out a few ingredients.  A hand lotion recipe worked great for me this past winter.

What about you?  Do you have a favorite homemade recipe to share? I'd love to hear it!

1 comment:

  1. I've been using the fruit fly killer for a while. works great!

    Solomon is cute with messy face.

    ReplyDelete