caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Lilly flashbacks at the dentists

When I was a child, I remember going to the local Ben Franklin store during holiday times.  Except for Christmas, all the decorations for a particular holiday easily fit onto a couple shelves.  It sure is different now - Americans love decorating for holidays.  (Ok - I admit I do too, though not nearly as much as I used to!)  Holiday decor is such a booming business that current holiday decor fills several aisles and spills over all around the stores.

Today marks 2 weeks until July 4th.  If Lilly were still with us, we would be getting ready to celebrate her 2nd birthday.  I know I'd just "have" to buy her a new red, white, and blue outfit or two to wear.  Today's pictures are outfits that I have seen in the past few days, that I thought were cute.  The top one is from Cracker Barrel and the bottom two from Walmart.  All would have looked pretty cute on our Little Firecracker.

I've had the thought that when I put up our Independence Day decorations this year, that I would hang up some of Lilly's special red, white, and blue clothes too.  Today though, I'm not sure if it would make me smile or cry.  So we'll see when the time comes.

This has been a week of checkups at the dentist for our entire family.  My husband went Monday, T. and H. went yesterday, and I went today.  We all ended up thinking about Lilly!  It was probably most significant for my husband, because the last time he went to the dentist, was the day that Lilly passed away.  What a blessing it was though, as he came home about an hour and a half earlier than usual that day.  He came in the house while Lilly and I were on my exercise mat and she was grinning as she laid next to me.  He held her and talked to her for about 15 minutes before he laid her down for her final nap.

The day before that, I had a dentist appointment.  All the children came with me and T. sat holding Lilly the whole time.  Of course I thought about that today.  When the dentist came to check me, I thanked him in person for the sympathy his office sent right after Lilly's death.  (I bet not many dentist offices do that!)  They also had a Gideon Bible placed in Lilly's name.

Yesterday H. had his first dentist appointment ever.  Both he and T. were in chairs near each other getting their cleanings.  T. told employees about Lilly and shared with them her little Lilly photo book that she keeps in her purse.  Several hygienists remembered how Lilly would come with us.  One gave me a tearful hug saying she had lost her 3 week old baby and couldn't imagine how hard it would be to lose a 17 month old.  (I say it hurts terribly no matter how long - or short - you have that person with you!)  I missed Lilly being in my lap at that office yesterday. 

On a different note, yet staying on the teeth topic!, I thought I'd share a few tips.  Both the hygienist and the dentist, at the children's dentist, stressed to be careful giving the children gummy vitamins. Because of the sticky nature (they stick easily in between teeth) they have been seeing A LOT more cavities in children.  Also I learned that paste toothpaste, rather than gel toothpaste, cleans much better.

T. and I recently made our own toothpaste and have been so pleased with the results that I'm switching my husband and H. over to it too.  We ordered a kit to make the toothpaste from one of my favorite websites, Bulk Herb Store.  The kit comes with bentonite clay, celtic sea salt, cinnamon sticks, whole cloves, and stevia.  (You can read about the purpose for each ingredient here and also watch a short video on how to make the toothpaste.)  Since T. and I made this toothpaste a few weeks ago we have been amazed at how much whiter our teeth are and how much cleaner they feel.  The toothpaste also removes plaque, bacteria, prevents cavities and helps gum problems.  Read more here!

Oh - and in case you're wondering - no one had any cavities!  ;)

Days like today make me thankful for this promise:

"Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the Lord your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you.” - Deuteronomy 31:6

No comments:

Post a Comment