caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mummy tummy



Here's a picture of Lilly napping while she exercises with her stretch band. Don't you wish you could do that? :)

Today's post is for women that have had babies and still have a "mummy tummy." After I had my son (late summer 2009) I lost all my pregnancy weight. But I still had what looked like a beer gut. I knew my stomach muscles had stretched out, but didn't really think a lot about it. (As long as I didn't look in a mirror that is.) I wish I had worked harder at flattening them though, as it made my pregnancy with Lilly more difficult. (I carried her painfully low and she was breech.)

The weight is coming off much slower this time it seems, but circumstances have been different. One thing I am taking seriously though is getting those stomach muscles flattened back out. I've learned that I have diastasis. That means that my outermost abdominal muscles (rectus abdominis) has separated and the connecting muscle has stretched really thin. (The result is that my organs are protruding. Gross, huh?) I've been wearing a splint and doing exercises specifically designed to get those muscles back together. And it is working, though I've got a ways to go.

If you have this problem or want to learn more about diastasis then go to: http://www.diastasisrehab.com/ I've got the book and DVD by the website's expert.

On the one hand I don't feel like I have time to exercise, but on the other - I don't have time not to! It's really a matter of health.

4 comments:

  1. i do wish i could workout while napping, lilly!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you, Lisa, for making the time to exercise. I have to do it - don't always feel like it but I just have to do it for my health. I can imagine with your schedule it's hard to fit in so congrats for making the effort - it will pay off. So glad to see that Lilly is gaining weight and doing well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now I'm POSITIVE that you are wonder woman! Maybe someday you'll rub those good habits of yours off on me.....doubtful.....but miracles never cease:o) Keep up the good work! Lilly looks so peaceful in your pics on this post. What a sweetie she is!

    ReplyDelete
  4. umm I'll have to check that out. I think I have a little of that from the twins too. I was just thinking this morning that I NEED to make time to work out, as much as it doesn't feel like a priority. I know I will feel much better overall if I take the time.

    ReplyDelete