caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Sunday, March 13, 2011

Flashback: The amnio and the results

This is part of a series on my pregnancy with Lilly.

May 25, 2010 was the day of the amnio. M., my midwife, met us at the hospital for it, to be there for me. First I had an ultrasound. Then the doctor came in and stuck the needle into my belly. He pulled out at least 4 vials of amniotic fluid. I was surprised that it didn't hurt.

Lilly was still breech and M. gave me a bunch of exercises to do to try and turn her.

By this point, I could finally feel some of Lilly's movements outside my belly. (It is really strange being 8 months pregnant and not feeling your baby outside your belly with your hands.)

The genetic counselor called 2 days later to say that the tests confirmed that my baby had Trisomy 18. (An extra 18th chromosome in every cell of her body.) And that her lungs were not fully developed. (That part wasn't abnormal.)

Even though it was horrible news, I was relieved to at least know something for sure. Now I wouldn't have to waste energy wondering. Also, upon this news the doctors backed off. I would no longer have to worry about Lilly being taken from me upon birth so that she could be put through tests. I guess statistics morbidly worked on our favor this time.

I want to note that during my pregnancy, I rarely looked at Trisomy 18 information or discussions online. I had a basic understanding of what it was and knew the grim statistics. I tried reading some stories but they were all too upsetting. What's interesting to me now, is that I have been able to find a lot of encouraging stories about Trisomy 18 children living. But before Lilly was born, I didn't really see any.

A week and a half or so later, the genetic counselor called back. They had done a more indepth testing and had reconfirmed full Trisomy 18. She said it was just one of those things. There weren't problems with my husband and I. This kind of thing randomly happens to parents of all ages. They don't know why.

No comments:

Post a Comment