caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Lilly visits the zoo

In the past week, I've had quite a number of people ask me what exactly Lilly's upcoming heart surgery means for her. In other words, does it change her short life expectancy. Well honestly, only God knows. But we hope, that by getting the hole in her heart patched, that it will help Lilly to live longer. That she at least won't die of heart failure. That she'll handle sicknesses, like viruses, easier. I have heard that of the 5-10% of children with Trisomy 18 that make it to one year old, about 60% of those children will live to be 5 years old. Now that is an exciting thought! :)

Yesterday was both Lilly's and her brother's first time to visit a zoo. It was a cloudy day - perfect for Lilly's sensitive eyes. I figured we'd have an interesting time as we walked towards the entrance and in front of us was a man - presumably with his family - wearing a skirt! And no not a kilt. It was an "industrial" skirt for "manly men." Ooookay ... I had heard about those in the past but had never actually seen one. Besides that oddity, we saw many animals and did so much walking. The most interesting thing I actually learned was that a rhino's horn is actually made of hair! Here are some pictures of Lilly around the zoo:


Riding a baby elephant (statute):



Taking a lunch break (bolus feed):


Lilly in front of the giraffes (she got a lot of laughs and smiles as people passed us and saw her sunglasses):






Lilly by lily pads:




At the children's playground -Lilly on a giant climbing spider web:




Lilly in front of the carosel (which disappointingly closed just before we got to it):






Lilly riding the tram between "North America" and "Africa":




Lilly was tired enough from all the fun that she slept in past 11:00 this morning.

5 comments:

  1. so glad you had fun little one!
    love,
    mah mah

    ReplyDelete
  2. I almost had a heart attack when I saw that first picture. I thought that Lilly was sitting on one of those animals in the petting zoo area. But what an ABSOLUTELY PRECIOUS picture! I love her hair. She looks so adorable.

    Wish you had taken a picture of that really strange animal in the 'industrial' skirt. After all, it is Halloween and I could use a good fright!

    Getting ready for you, Lilly!

    Love, Shisshy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lilly,
    you had a great time on the big spider web!!! The elephant was so fun to sit on!!! :-D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post made me laugh out loud about the "industrial skirt!" I saw a guy wearing one at the Apple Store, he works there and I was like, "Huh, is that a kilt or a skirt?" I'm still scratching my head on that one! I love the pic of Lilly by the lily pads. The Lord must be so pleased with how you truly cherish your family. I continue to be humbled by you (and blessed, really blessed).

    Love in Christ,

    CMWH

    ReplyDelete