caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Monday, October 17, 2011

Real food update

I've been continuing to introduce blenderized food to Lilly via her g-tube. She is now up to 3 food meals a day, with breastmilk or water in between. She has tolerated everything very well. I only give her 1 ounce at a time as that is all her tummy can hold. These are the food combinations she is getting:

- yogurt/banana
- spinach/orange juice
- avocado/dark chocolate
- cauliflower
- congee (see below for details)

Lilly is still eating coconut oil by mouth. Other than that though, I'm afraid I haven't been very good about working on mouth feeding with her right now. I've been so focused on the diet itself. But after her heart surgery we hope to really try hard to teach her to eat more by mouth.

Until I read the Homemade Blended Formula Handbook I had never heard of congee. It is a slow cooked porridge considered a staple in many Asian countries. It is supposed to be very easily digested. There are a lot of recipes out there for it, using different grains and spices. Here is how I made it for Lilly: combined 5 cups of water and 1 cup of organic brown rice in the crock pot. I added a pinch of himalayan salt. Then sprinkled in some ginger and cinnamon (both of which have many healthy benefits). Covered and cooked it on low for 8 hours. (Smelled yummy!) It made a lot so I put some in the freezer. With what was left, I blended it in the Vitamix with some breastmilk.

One important thing we've learned about feeding Lilly anything through the bolus - is NEVER lay her down flat for at least 5 minutes. If we do that, or even just jostle her too much, the food or milk comes right back out. In fact, Lilly's in my lap right now, staying propped because I fed her a little while ago. But I've kept her still long enough and she's getting squirmy. So we're off to do some physical therapy and practice sitting. :)

3 comments:

  1. NO PICTURE? YOU'VE GOTTA BE KIDDIN!
    I KNOW I GOT A BUNCH FROM THE PUMPKIN PATCH BUT I CAN'T HELP IT...
    I'M GREEDY!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've got to agree with Shisshy: GIMMIE A PICUTRE! I'M GREEDY!!!!

    But I DID send you a bunch of pictures, Shisshy!

    You've spoiled us, Mamma!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try the porridge! It sounds really good and I have a bucket of brown rice which I use all the time! Keep going mama!

    ReplyDelete