caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Thursday, December 22, 2011

We ordered Lilly's gravestone today

After Lilly's burial on Monday, we went to stay with my mother-in-law, who lives about 30 minutes from the cemetery. It was good to stay with family and not at our home for a few days.

On Tuesday, my mother-in-law had the lovely plan of going and seeing a couple of the family homesteads and eating at my sister-in-law G's bakery. My other sister-in-law, N, came with us and we had a good day. On Wednesday we helped my mother-in-law with things around her house. It was very satisfying to accomplish some projects for her. It can really keep your mind off yourself when you help others.

Tuesday morning at breakfast, my son announced he wanted to be buried next to Lilly. And he wanted to be buried with her other caterpillar. He's so sweet. I told my husband we needed to get plots for us at the cemetery Lilly is buried at. We hope to do that before too long. Lilly was buried next to my husband's youngest sister who died in her teens and across from my husband's father. It gave me great comfort to bury her by family.

Today we went to the funeral home and ordered Lilly's gravestone. I had actually designed it before Lilly was even born. It will have her name, birth and death dates, and that she is our beloved daughter. In the bottom left it will reference "2 Samuel 12:23" and on the bottom right will be an engraving of an Easter lily flower and cross. The stone will be a polished gray color. I can't wait until it is ready.

I was afraid to come home this afternoon. I felt sick inside I dreaded it so much. But it's going OK. Walking in I was so touched by the huge stack of sympathy cards and gifts on our table. And the whole house smells like lily flowers! We have a number of bouquets and plants we received and they are all so beautiful. And as I type this I have a picture of Lilly propped next to me and she is just so cute! What a beautiful little girl God created in her. I ache to hold her. But I still feel so very grateful that we had her 17 months! The majority of families with Trisomy 18 children don't get to do that with their babies.

"Surely God is my help; the Lord is the one who sustains me." - Psalm 54:4

3 comments:

  1. Yes, God was good to let us have her for 17 months. i keep reminding myself of that when the tears spill over and what a blessing she was to us all in that short lifespan. and what a witness to the Lord answering prayer. i've no doubt we had those 17 months because of His faithful answers. while it is hard to see all those "lilly things" in your house,it's also a comfort and reminder of all the wonderful times we had with her. miss her...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We continue to pray for you and speak about your family. I respect you so much and think you are honoring Lilly's life in an incredible way.

    With love,

    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed my time with you and Bubba. I wish I could have stayed longer.
    I wanted to say something brilliant as I left you at the airport, but of course there was nothing that hadn't been said, and certainly nothing brilliant to say, so I felt like a sincere hug was the best I could do.
    xxoo

    ReplyDelete