caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Chatty Lilly at the hospital

I woke up a little before 5:00 a.m. this morning to the sound of Lilly talking. A nurse was with her and apparently trying to soothe her as Lilly was very restless. I got up and managed to hold her, with all her tubes and oxygen. Oh it was wonderful! And Lilly liked it too - she calmed down quickly. Poor baby - she had gone so long without being held. She wasn't used to that. So I sat carefully in the chair by her bed holding her and just enjoying the feeling of her skin. She was happy and started talking to me. That was great because yesterday she didn't make a sound. I could also see that her coloring was pretty much back to normal.

When her daddy got up she sat with him and he read the Bible to her. She had lots of comments (amens?) to make. She got especially worked up over Psalm 9:10 which says "And those who know Your name will put their trust in You; for You, LORD, have not forsaken those who seek You."

Lilly had a chest x-ray and echo this morning. She still has fluid on her heart and it is still enlarged. Her fever dropped from 102 degrees to 100.5. The doctor believes that she has a virus. (We don't know what - but it's not RSV.) Because her body is fighting off the virus so hard, her heart had to work too hard. The oxygen (C-Papp) is helping her. But she is still incredibly weak. The doctor today said that even if she regains her strength and gets the VSD repair heart surgery, that she could still die of heart failure. This was the first time I heard this. This dr. is NOT a cardiologist. Her cardiologist in Florida said that the VSD repair would mean that she wouldn't die of heart failure. So not sure what's going on with that.

Lilly is still on an anti-napping strike. In fact, she talked almost ALL day other than one or two catnaps. My husband started wondering if she has the strength to cry since she hasn't. I can't stand thinking about it that way - I told him maybe the oxygen was making her feel well enough she didn't need to. He made this comment right after the nurse inserted a new NG tube and Lilly didn't have much of a reaction. She started milk again this evening, and soon fell asleep after that. Maybe hunger was keeping her awake.

Maybe maybe maybe. All these maybes are a bit frustrating. I like things to be black and white.

Lilly had a bit of trouble breathing this evening. They had to turn her oxygen up higher and she was agitated. It was a bit frightening. She's sleeping now though, and seems to have leveled off.

Lilly picked up some more prayers today. The hospital chaplain prayed over her twice. Two couples I never met (who know of the blog and Lilly from a prayer group) showed up and prayed with me. The Mr. & Mrs. G. from church came and prayed and bought my husband dinner. (As a nursing mom, I get meals brought to me.) Then Mrs. B. came by and brought a bag with food. Yum - I'm thankful because my dinner didn't stick with me. :P

I'm not sure what's going to happen next. We are praying that Lilly will come home with us very quickly. But ... if her numbered days are coming to an end, I am begging God not to let her suffer. Whatever happens, it will be to His glory. But I still want to keep her longer! Much much longer ...

18 comments:

  1. dearest lilly,

    please don't leave yet...we need more time with you.

    love,
    mah mah

    ReplyDelete
  2. None of us want to see Lilly go yet. She is such a precious little girl. Praying here.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She WILL be with us much longer. How can our Heavenly father deny all the prayers that are going up on her behalf. God seems to have made her a little "Scrapper", or as Pa likes to say, "Our little Firecracker." She is. Every time I think about her eyes, I fall in love with her all over again. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Praying for your beautiful, chatty, sneaky Lilly. Praying she will fight off this virus and get back to "normal," gaining weight and a successful heart surgery. Joining you in prayer that she will stay with you longer.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Praying for your sweet daughter.my name is marta and i have a 9 year old son name kayden who also is trisomy 18 and we live in MN.
    martamcclanahan@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. glad to hear there were some positives from the day....as an aside i do believe she could have been awake b/c of the lack of milk. this was the case for both of my NICU babies... and your mom said it best by saying we need more time with you. love you

    ReplyDelete
  7. All my Facebook friends & I are praying for Lilly!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Praying for Lilly.... I have been following her on your blog, and it is so encouraging to see your faith. Our Sheryl Grace did not make it to birth, so I am so encouraged to hear about Lilly. I hope that she stays with us for a long, long time. Was hoping you were able to contact the Drs in Jacksonville. Do they know anything that could help? Our prayers are with Lilly and all of you.

    Dawn Davis
    davis7mom@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. My daily prayer is that she have no suffering.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Lisa,
    I too follow Lily's blog every single day, and of course since yesterday make many trips to your blog. I'm sure it helps you to write all these emotions and happenings in a journal, but for those of us out here, we so look forward to your wonderful spirit as a mother, your devotion to God and the beautiful way you express all of this. Please know there are many of us on this journey with you. I am one of Pams best friends and am also a nurse, so I see much suffering in my work. Your strength and commitment to your family is so endearing. I am praying for your dear Lily as well as your family. Love, Jackie in Gainesville, FL

    ReplyDelete
  11. So glad you got to hold her :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for the update. We are continuing to keep Lilly in our prayers - that the Lord would work it out for good and for His glory. I am glad you were able to hold Lilly, as each moment is so precious.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Little sweet cousin Lilley, I pray for you everyday and hope that if God allows I will get to meet my sweet little cousin! Hugs and prayers for the whole family! We Love you! Jackie and family

    ReplyDelete
  14. So thankful you were able to hold your precious Lilly again! What comfort mother's arms are to their children when they are so full of tenderness and love! Glad you could feel her baby skin and hear her sweet sounds-simple things that mean Soooo Much to us moms!
    I know there was so much going on today with all of Lilly's test and hearing different Dr.'s opinions, and just the craziness of the hospital. Yet, I feel like if I would have walked into Lilly's room today I would have been surrounded by the Lord's presence! [A room full of Christians praying over a child - a daddy reading God's word to his precious baby girl and God watching it all with a tear and a smile!] Lisa, I know how you like black and white -[and we all do when it comes to our children] but it is our children who show us God's rainbow!!!
    May you and Frank stay strong and remember Lilly's favorite verse for today -
    Psalm 9:10 "Those who know your name will trust in you, for you Lord,have never forsaken those who seek you.''
    Love and prayers!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Our family is praying for Lilly. We know what you are going through and it is really hard at times. I am hoping this passes and she starts to gain weight again. Our daughter Cheyenne has Tetrology of Fallot & Velo Facial Cardio Sydrome; when she was little she had a shunt put in and she had to gain weight before they could do her open heart surgery. She never gained the required weight, they had no choice but to do the surgery. She was sooo tiny at Three years old she looked like she was 12 months old. After the surgery she became more active, she gained weight, and her little personality came shining through. I made sure I held her everyday...When they would not allow me to hold her because of all the tubes and things; I would put my hand under her arm or rub her skin. and sing to her..I believe to this day that it helped her fight. I am praying that Lilly gets stronger everyday; and that she gets close to the required weight for surgery...we are all praying for Little Lilly...

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sobering thought that ALL of our days are numbered and we should live each day to the fullest! May God continue to bless all of you. You are in my thoughts daily and in my Heart forever!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  17. We have your family -- and especially Lilly -- in our thoughts and prayers more now than ever before. We hope Lilly is comfortable and finds peace and comfort in your words, your touch and your being close by.

    You kept my Katie in your thoughts and prayers when she was in treatment for leukemia and I will never forget that! We now hold Lilly up in prayer to carry you all through this difficult time. Many, many ((((((HUGS)))))).

    Amy, Kevin, Katie & Christian (Jo's friends in Chicago)

    ReplyDelete