caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Saturday, January 29, 2011

Hospital details

My husband and I are at the hospital with Lilly right now. I'm very tired and today was a bit of a blur but I want to write down basically what happened before I forget anything.

I woke up this morning about 4:30 and thought that Lilly's breathing sounded a bit weird. Sort of gasping in some parts and I could hear some clicking. I picked her up and it stopped. When it started again I took her downstairs and boiled water and we sat under a blanket with it. The steam seemed to help some but I thought she still didn't sound right and her coloring didn't look right.

I called her pediatrician and we went to the closest hospital. They put Lilly on oxygen and that helped quickly. The doctor was asking me about her and seemed stuck on the fact that she is almost 7 months old and has Trisomy 18. He finally asked if anyone had told us the prognosis of the disorder. How fun to blow the mind of medical people. A chest x-ray revealed a lot of fluid on the heart and lungs, and that her heart was enlarged. We were told Lilly was dying. (I am very grateful to Dr. and Mrs. S. for coming to the hospital and praying for Lilly with me.) Lilly was given a dose of Lasix.

It was decided that Lilly needed to be transferred to another hospital that had a pediatric intensive care unit. So Lilly and I got to ride in an ambulance. (I suppose it would have been more exciting had it be under better circumstances.) A group of doctors and nurses quickly assessed her and she was made comfortable in the little bed.

Lilly had an echocardiogram to check her heart. It verified the enlarged heart and lots of fluid on it. The doctor said that they didn't know why her heart suddenly has started failing like this. (Doesn't sound like it's caused by the VSD.) But that they would do another chest x-ray and echo in the morning to see if the medicines are helping get that fluid off the heart. If not, she said we would have "a different conversation." I asked if she had the VSD surgery quickly if that would help. The doctor said that she would not survive the surgery right now. The anesthesia would kill her.

I hate this. I'm just not ready to lose Lilly. But I admit that I don't think I ever will be. I just want so badly for her to beat all those odds and live to be one year old. (Of course I know I'll want her to live longer than that once we get there.) Please God - let her live to your glory!

"But you, LORD, do not be far from me, You are my strength; come quickly to help me." - Psalm 22:19

On a good note, Lilly looks fantastic compared to what she did this morning. (She looked ghastly then.) Her color is back in her cheeks, her eyes are opened wide, and she's making occasional little sounds. She doesn't have any socks on to kick off, so she's being "sneaky Lilly" and kicking off the blanket. She's able to track my voice with her eyes if I move away from her. We so badly want to hold her but she has this enormous oxygen contraption wrapped around her head.

We had a strange and amazing thing happen at the first hospital. Not related to Lilly but to our son. One of the doctors who worked on Lilly became extremely touched when he saw my husband bring our son and older daughter into the room. He asked me hold old my son was and said he had one the same age. He complimented my sons manners. I noticed he was watching him when he interacted with me and Lilly a little. Then he came into the room and handed my husband a big wad of cash. He said something like "I was going to go out and do something I shouldn't after work today. But instead I'm going home to my son. When you came in with the baby it didn't really hit me until your son came in. Please take the money." Wow. God really can punctuate the bad with beautiful things!

"For He has not despised or scorned the suffering of the afflicted one; He has not hidden His face from him but has listened to his cry for help." - Psalm 22:24

Please please be praying the tests tomorrow will show the fluid has greatly gone down.

"Dear Lord please hear the prayers of your people and answer us."

31 comments:

  1. My heart is breaking. I want to be there so badly.

    Is there any chance bringing her here to
    Wolfson's would help?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will be praying for Lilly and for your family. Our granddaughter, Lilly, died in November 09 from group b strep menengitis, after six month battle with severe brain damage. I know how hard it was for us to lose her and my heart if filled with sadness for you. She is such a beautiful little girl. I believe in miracles and pray there will be one for Lilly. I also believe in God's wonderful love for us and for Lilly and that He has a place prepared for her when He takes her home. Our Lilly did not get the miracle of a healing here but I know she is in heaven with a whole, healed body. I will continue to pray for you and to watch this site for how she is doing. I started to say I found this site by accident but know there are no accidents in God's plan for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P and I got down on our knees for you all just as soon as we could, and I don't think I've stopped praying since then. And I shot a text message out to a long list of people for prayers. Hun, you know you call any time, ANY TIME, if you need someone to pray with you, or listen to you, or if there is just anything I can do. We are with you spirit. May God grant you peace and courage for whatever he holds in your future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let us pray for this doctor who was touched by your family. Let us pray that he will turn to God and His word. Lilly is, and always has been in the Lord's hands. We pray for your entire family, for peace, comfort and strength.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are an incredible woman, Lisa. God is glorified in you and your family! I am praying for your little Lilly.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope and pray all things go well for Lilly, and
    your family. also pray that the good means God
    has given us will help with all your needs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol in New ZealandJanuary 30, 2011 at 12:17 AM

    Lilly, dearest little one, I am sending you all my love from New Zealand.xx Lisa dearest, I am sending you as much strength as I can and loving thoughts for you and your family. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. My little family in Tennessee is praying for Lilly and your family now! May God continue to spare her life so that she can be a blessing to everyone who comes in contact with her! That is an amazing story you told! May that doctor's life be changed forever, and may he come to know the Saviour! I know you are tired and frazzled now, so may the Lord hold up your hands, and we'll keep praying!
    D in Tennessee

    ReplyDelete
  9. my dear Lilly, I love you and I pray that you will have no pain. I also pray for that doctor/human being who rethought his priorities and went home to his son after work. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just saw this and am praying now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Found your blog through a friend (Susan Baker). I will be praying for strength and a miracle.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Miracles can happen everyday. look at Lilly, she is a living miracle and toutches many hearts of people all over the word. Whatever happens she will be in our heart forever. I pray to The Lord he will give you more precious time together. Love oxox

    ReplyDelete
  13. L-
    I am here....praying.
    Hugs,
    A-

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have been following Lily's blog for several months and have gotten quite attached to your beautiful little girl. Coincidentally, a friend of mine from the same town posted a link this morning on Facebook saying that she has taken a turn for the worse. Out of all the blogs in the world, both she and I read yours...I had no idea! Lily has made an impression on my heart. I feel your grief and your struggle and we are praying for your family and for beautiful Miss Lily this morning. We know that God's will will be done, but we know that He hears the prayers of those that love Him, as well. Hugs from Tennessee,
    Jennifer Thorpe

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lisa, I've been emailing with your sister and shared some of my thoughts. Be sure to know that our entire family is thinking of Lilly, and you, F, T, and H.

    I know that it's hard not to hold her, but she knows you're there. I guarantee you that hearing your and your family voice is very much a comfort while she's in a strange environment.

    I found with mine that just keeping the touch and talking to him (I used to read books constantly so he could here my voice) did miracles in his recovery (was at ease and the body was able to rest and recover). I hope this helps.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  16. To our precious Hollowell family...you continue to be in our thoughts, prayers and hearts as always.

    We love you,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  17. Praying for precious Lilly to recover. It was very encouraging to hear that she is better today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. we are praying hard for your family that the good Lord will touch and heal Lilly. The Lord has used Lilly in so many ways already and she has touched so many peoples lives that her work on earth is not done. We love you all and God Bless.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I'm a friend of Ryan Ange's. I am praying for all of you!

    What a blessing that you affected that doctor so much. You may have saved a life that you didn't even know about, just by being the loving human beings that you are.

    With love,

    Liz

    ReplyDelete
  20. My husband and I are friend's of Steve & Kim Halbrook and have been praying for you all. We are praying that the Lord of all comfort and mercies will shelter you beneath His wings. We pray for healing for your precious child; and that the Lord will give her doctors and nurses wisdom and discernment. God bless you. Your brother and sister in Christ, Jim and Mary Jean Dawson, Virginia Beach, VA.

    ReplyDelete
  21. We're praying. Love to all. Say hi to Frank for me. Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi - this is Faith's dad, Brad. Jesi forgot to mention that they need to watch her carbon dioxide levels. She was probably being poisoned by carbon dioxide which is part of why she looked so bad. If she's like Faith, she has obstructive sleep apnea which could be caused by her shortened jaw. We have begun to notice this problem in the pictures of these babies. It will cause her to not breathe while sleeping which puts extreme pressure on her body, and she begins to go downhill VERY fast. Check your email.
    We walk by faith NOT by sight...keep your eyes on Him. -Brad

    ReplyDelete
  23. We are praying for you, Lilly! With Love, Stinky, Ava and Carrie and Jorge

    ReplyDelete
  24. Too sad meesh Wiwwy!(Miss Lilly)

    Tabby

    ReplyDelete
  25. Just wanted you to know that we are joining you in prayer. Your family is showing Christ to others. In a little itty bitty girl only a wee bit bigger than a doll, a little boy, a sweet daughter and two godly parents. Our son Aaron was commenting on how Mr. H was the man. He has such admiration for him.

    With love,

    The W-H's

    ReplyDelete
  26. I continue to follow Lilly's progress. Praise the Lord for her weight gain. I have this site as a favorite and it shows as Pray for Lilly on my computer. It constantly reminds me of our Lilly who died over a year ago at 8 months. We miss her and it helps to pray for your Lilly. Our Lilly is safe and well in the arms of Jesus. I pray that Lilly is able to have the surgery to repair the VSD. God bless you all.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Replies
    1. Yes she did. :) I am praying for your Kya. :)

      Delete
  28. Lisa, this story was on my memories today and I am so glad I came back to re-read it. Thank you again for this blog.
    Last week, while in the Greenville hospital, we got to chatting with the nurse and discovered he had just lost his 13 mo. old daughter 2 months earlier. He expressed how he hoped that she will not be forgotten and that her life meant something. And we were able to share with him that yes, we KNOW that their lives DO mean something and that they will never be forgotten.
    And again I am praying for this doctor that changed his mind.

    ReplyDelete