caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Making food for angels, babies, and goats

JOIN US FOR OUR FUNDRAISER THROUGH JULY 27TH! I am holding a Thirty One gifts fundraiser this month. All earnings will be split between SOFT and my own Lilly Memorial Project. Go to our party page by clicking https://www.mythirtyone.com/NikkiHuffman/ , click on "My Parties" on the left, and then clicking on "The Lilly Memorial Projects Thirty-One Fundraiser." THANK YOU!

This is a photo of my "hang-up home organizer" from Thirty-One.  I have it hung in a place where we all walk by many times a day.  Tabby is always asking what is coming up next during our week so this is a good place for me to have our calendar hung so she can check it.  This organizer has many pockets.  Here is what I use mine for.  In the two small pockets I have gift cards in one and library book lists and receipts from checked out books in the other.  In the top right pocket are our weekly chore lists.  (I like the Motivated Moms schedule I download each year.) In the big sideways middle pocket I have a list and greeting cards for the month for birthdays, encouragment cards, remembering angelversarys, etc.  In the bottom left I have coupons in the front pocket and homeschool activity sheets in the back pocket.  On the bottom right I have my grocery shopping list in the back pocket and various papers that I need and am waiting for things on in the front.  As much as I hate it, I am a paper piler.  This organizer has helped give a bunch of my papers a permanent home which I am thankful for!  (It is available in several color options from Thirty-One.)

I wanted to share this neat tip.  When I was making Lilly's angel food cake earlier this month, I realized I did not have a bundt pan.  So I used ramekin dishes inside of round cake pans.  It worked well.





As a cook, I am really good at following a recipe exactly.  I am not very good at changing recipes or making up my own.  Therefore, Solomon and I are really enjoying a book called Top 100 Baby Purees:  100 Quick and Easy Meals for a Healthy and Happy Baby by Annabel Karmel.  Many of the recipes are for combinations of food that I just would never think of.  For example, yesterday I made Solomon chicken with apple and sweet potato mixed in.  He really seemed to like it!



I find incredible satisfaction in making all of Solomon's food.

Today I made "deworming herbal balls" for the goats. LOL - another thing I never knew I would be making one day!  It was pretty sticky - reminded me of the raw food snacks I make.  Only one goat appreciated all my work.  But we got some into all of the goats.


Being around animals on our little farm has made me realize how many old expressions are really true.  I am often amused when I look outside and see that our 24 chickens have divided themselves up into groups, according to their breed.  "Birds of a feather flock together" - illustrated by this group of silkies:



Frank shared an article with me earlier this week from Chick Colson's "Breakpoint Daily".  It is entitled "A Perfect Daughter: Loving a Special Needs Child."  It was about how a little girl with Down Syndrome won her daddy's heart - when he really didn't intend for her to!  And to show the world how precious special needs children were, this dad competed in 321 races together.  (She was in a jogging stroller.)  Why 321?  Because Down Syndrome is also known as Trisomy 21.   The article also had a great quote by Chuck Colson, of what a friend said to him when he learned that Chuck's grandson Max was autistic:

"You have found favor with God because He has given you a person with special needs in your family so you will learn sacrificial love."

That verse makes me think of my Lilly and how much she taught all of us about love!  Yes we were so blessed to have her!

Our rainbow baby has developed a strip of curly-ish hair right down the top middle.  Hunter nicknamed him "Curley-O" which cracks me up (and I have no idea how to spell it!)  Here's Solomon:



I love when I find pictures that Tabby took on my camera.  Here is one of Solomon she took riding in my bike seat:


No comments:

Post a Comment