caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Another one bites the dust ...

Skinny the Rhode Island Red
Early this morning I looked out the window and saw something laying in the yard that I did not recognize.  I grabbed my binoculars to confirm my suspicions.  Yep.  Another dead chicken.  A Rhode Island Red named Skinny.  Last night Skinny had refused to go into the coop.

Though I had no evidence that would have held up in a court of law, I feel pretty sure it was Lucia.  (We let her off her cable at night after the door to the chicken coop is closed.)

As Hunter and I went outside to pick up the chicken's corpse, I had a line from the rock group Queen song pop in my head.  "Another one down and another one down ... another one bites the dust."  I've never really considered myself a Queen fan so I sort of wondered "Where did that come from?!"  I don't know any more of the song, but that little part I remember describes this whole chicken murder by Lucia business.  (Funny aside - if Frank had been here I'm sure he could have told me the rest of the lyrics.  He used to be a Queen fan in college and can pretty much finish of any song of their's that he hears.  I find that amusing.  Amusing in the way that he finds that I used to be an Ozzy Osbourne fan amusing.)

I sighed as I picked up Skinny and carried her body to the barn.  Rigor mortis was setting in.  She was such a pretty color.  Interestingly her body was intact.  I'm not sure what Lucia thinks she's doing with these chickens - she certainly is not eating them.  She's such a big playful dog I sort of wonder if she thinks she is playing with them.

When Tabby came downstairs this morning, she did not cry.  Skinny wasn't the friendliest chicken.  I was thankful as Tabby's heart is still raw over the death of Chanticleer (the rooster). Tabby actually wanted to bury Skinny and went outside to do so.

When she came in later, she said that Skinny's best chicken friend Roger Williams was sort of lost and lonely wandering around.  (You can tell what we're studying in history by our animals names.  We're studying the original 13 colonies right now.  Roger Williams was the founder of Rhode Island.  So of course one of our Rhode Island Reds had to get that name.  We make jokes about the hen - saying she's off to start another church of her own - that she considers all the other chickens are heretics, etc.)


We've been doing light schoolwork this summer.  Light as in book learning only I guess - because we sure seem to be taking a crash course in chicken and goat care!

There's plenty to stay busy with though.  Frank brought home a broken printer from work and Hunter has had the best time messing with it.  He loves taking things apart.  He is thrilled with the printer and keeps calling me to see all the things he is learning about it.  Hands on learning - I love it!  (He wasn't too happy with Solomon's hands trying to learn with him on the printer!)

Tabby has taken it upon herself to give Hunter piano lessons.  She bought books from her piano teacher last week and has been busy with him.  We laugh because his favorite part is the workbook part.  (He loves workbooks of all kinds.)  Tabby's a pretty strict teacher so I'm not sure how long this arrangement will last.



I used a couple of Lilly's syringes to administer goat medication not to long ago.  I ended up giving one to Hunter and one to Solomon to play with in the tub.  Solomon has decided it is one of his very favorite toys:



Solomon's new little tooth is still slowly coming in.  But he didn't think he needed to wait any longer to start brushing:


Now if only this little guy would start laying down for his naps!  He is STILL dozing standing up in his crib!

I am an ideas person.  I often drive myself crazy because I have more ideas than I can actually carry out.  And every time I have another idea - I'm so tempted to run with it right then.  I have to keep reminding me there are simply better times in my life for some things, so I write those down for the future.  My latest idea is to learn to make and sell goat milk soap with the goat milk being from the goat we're caring for.  Tabby makes goat milk soap and sells it through her Craftsy Kitty business, but that is using a goat milk pre-made block that she melts and puts in molds.  I want to make it from scratch.  If any one reading this does this, and has a favorite recipe or some good pointers, I'd love to hear from you!

"Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your plans." - Proverbs 16:3

Finally, a little boy named Aaron, who is 3 years old with Trisomy 18, could really use your prayers.  Aaron's has problems with his heart, but it can not be fixed like Lilly's heart could.  (He has pulmonary hypertension.)  Aaron is needing more and more oxygen to be able to breathe.  He is in the hospital right now.  You can read about this amazing little boy on his mama's blog for him - Compatible With Joy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment