caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Recommendation: The Snot Sucker

Weight check = 8 lbs. 8 oz.

OK - did I get your attention with the title for this post? I'm not being crude - I'm talking about a great product - "Nosefrida: The Snot Sucker." I learned about this "snot sucking" device from J., mother of Faith (T-18). This thing is vastly superior to my hospital grade bulb syringes.

Can you see how it works in the first picture? One end goes right outside Lilly's nostril. Then I take a deep breath and suck the other side. (And NO I'm not drinking anything - there is a filter between us.) It's very easy to clean after using. The Nosefrida really is helping keep Lilly's nose cleared out well. (She tends to have a lot of congestion deep in her head.)

I wanted to mention this Swedish product because it's so useful and I sure wish I had known about it when my other children were babies! If you're interested go to: http://www.nosefrida.com/

In the coming week, I hope to increase the bolus feedings and practice with the Habermann feeder. Though I will be limiting Lilly to only 20 minutes at a time with the special needs bottle so she doesn't burn too many calories. (I'm sorry - I know that worried some of you when I mentioned that last Friday I fed Lilly for an hour with the feeder. She was enjoying it and I forgot about the burning calories thing.)

One last thing - several people have expressed concern that we stopped giving Lilly the Zantac last month. When Lilly was in the hospital in Florida, she was having problems with stomach/gas pains. They did not allow me to give her the gripe water that I used at home. They said they would give her something to help. That something turned out to be Zantac. We later found out it is used for acid reflux. We found that a bit baffling as no one ever told us she had acid reflux nor has she not exhibited any signs of it. In fact - she has never seemed more content and just plain happy as she has been since coming home from the hospital this last time.

"Those who trust in the LORD are like Mount Zion, which cannot be shaken but endures forever." - Psalm 125:1

5 comments:

  1. Just talked recently to a neighbor who was telling me that she knows a little girl who was born with Trisomy 18 and the little girl is now 14!!! What a wonderful thing to hear!

    We love you all,
    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  2. SNOT SUCKER! You KNOW that name is right up my alley. Aww shucks. Take that filter out and see if you can stop it just in time. Might be a fun game!

    She looks so beautiful in that bottom picture.
    give her a pinch for me, if you know what I mean.
    Love you Sneaky Lilly!
    Shisshy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find it troubling that anyone would question your parenting skills and decisions as a mom. You are inspiring and a great encouragement. The Snot Sucker looks gross but is ingenious. You go, Mama and Lilly!

    Blessings,

    CWH

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lilly!!!! You must be getting a tooth!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You can get those nosefridas locally in apex at green pea nursery.... I love it...

    ReplyDelete