caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Our heart surgery decision



Weight check = 11 lbs. 1 oz. !!!!!!!!!!


Yesterday Lilly went to the cardiologist for a heart checkup and echo. Dr. R said that Lilly's breathing and respiratory were the best he has ever seen for Lilly. Her heart function has returned to normal (after the virus last month) and her profusion good.

The echo also showed her left ventricle is BETTER! And one wall of her heart measured 1 mm less than last month. Because of this, Dr. R questioned whether Lilly has true hypertrophy or not.


It sounds like God is answering that prayer request, either through divine intervention, or perhaps through the new RBC Life product Lilly is on called Stem-Kine. I started her on the Stem-Kine at the end of May. (See my post "Super Supplements" dated May 28.) One of the benefits of Stem-Kine is supposed to be heart healing after about two weeks of taking the product. Wow!


We also had a long discussion with Dr. R about the pros and cons of the VSD repair surgery and of just staying with the pulmonary artery band for a longer time.


We have concluded that we want to again pursue the open heart surgery for Lilly at this time. Dr. R said that Lilly is "clinically fantastic" right now. In fact, he is going to contact Wolfson Children's Hospital in Florida again (where Lilly got her pulmonary artery band) and ask them to reconsider their decision not to do the heart repair. If they still refuse, then we will take Lilly to the surgeon in Charleston, SC (Medical University of South Carolina) that said he would be open to operating on her.


Due to Lilly's weight gain, Dr. R increased Lilly's Lasix to 0.5 mg (once a day) and the Enalapril to 0.5 mg (twice a day).


Before Lilly's cardiologist appointment, I had to go to the dentist. (I've got pesky problem with my right jaw popping apart.) The dental hygienist asked if I was going on vacation this summer. I said we'd like to but I don't feel too comfortable being away from hospitals with PICUs because we have a baby that has frequently been hospitalized. She replied that she knew just how I felt. She and her husband have a cat that was diagnosed with cancer in December and they don't want to leave it. It was really hard not to laugh. (I know how people can love a pet like a child so I don't mean to criticize.) But just to think of Lilly's roller coaster life and how I live on pins and needles at times, and how that compares to the life of a cat!

Lilly accomplished a milestone today. (Second two pictures.) She was having tummy time with a little pillow under her upper body. She was laying as usual with her head turned to the right. Then she suddenly lifted her head up and turned it to the middle and dropped it back down! She did this for several minutes turning it back and forth. It was incredibly exciting to see. She was exhausted after that and took an hour's nap. :)

"Seek the Lord and his strength; seek his presence continually!" - Psalm 105:4

7 comments:

  1. Yeah, When I picked you up you snuggeled right into my chest and went to 'Lilly Land' ;D


    Love,
    T.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We will trust in the Lord in ALL our prayers, and not let the evil one cause sway. We will affirm our faith in the ALMIGHTY One and know that he is the MOST merciful. Thank you for keeping us updated. We count it a blessing to pray for all of you, and, as always, our faith grows stronger through trials, both ours and yours.
    Lots of love your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a remarkable and graceful woman. I can only imagine having someone put a pet on the same level as my child, it's a wonder you didn't close your jaw around her fingers. I have noticed my own dental hygienist saying the dumbest things also and I'm thinking, "Really?" Keep pressing on and believing in an Almighty God and in the blessing of Lilly.

    In Christ,

    CWH

    ReplyDelete
  4. You look so precious, My Lilly Love!

    Shisshy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I mean to criticize...I find many times these same people who value pets to a ridiculous level think abortion is just fine. Anyone with any sense of perspective and understanding would never make that stupid remark. Good that you were gracious, and she can be glad it wasn't me who heard her.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Putting pet lovers in the same category as people who accept abortion rights is not a fair statement. Some people aren't blessed with children...and put their hearts into their pets...I am not normally one to criticize so openly...but I am an animal lover...as well as a mother...I would be sad to have someone laugh at me because I felt worried about leaving on a trip with my cat or dog near death with cancer. I cherish this blog and Lilly's life story...but I take exception to these lines of comments...I find them rather judgmental and hurtful in content. You may not accept her comment because you do not wear her shoes...nor she yours...I am glad you are a good soul and held your thoughts in your head...She might not had made the comparison had she understood the depth of your experiences with Lilly to date...but know that her love of her pet is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete