caption - title

The story of our precious little girl's 17 months of life with Trisomy 18 (July 4, 2010 - December 15, 2011) and of us, re-learning to live "after Lilly."
"I will praise you for I am fearfully and wonderfully made ...." Psalm 139:14

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

All is calm now

About 30 minutes after I posted our last prayer request, the alarms stopped and Lilly hasn't sent them off since. Making fun of that old ad - "how do you spell relief?" - the real answer is "a quiet pulse ox!" Even though I KNOW God answers prayers, I am almost always surprised that He does. And quickly!

The doctors were to have discussed what to do about Lilly this morning at rounds. I haven't heard anything yet.

I had a thought about dealing with death this morning. Something I've been thinking more and more about the last couple of weeks. I know that many of us (myself included) feel really awkward around people that just had a loved one die. We feel like we'll say something dumb that causes that person more pain so often we don't say anything at all. I'm realizing more and more that silence must be more painful than nothing said. Even just a "I'm sorry about your loss" is better than nothing. From talking with several moms recently, of children that have died, I can see how much they love to talk about their deceased children. So I'm trying to make a mental note that when I encounter these situations, to be sure I not only express my sympathy, but ask them direct questions about their loved one. Also perhaps I could share a good memory I have of that person. I don't know yet, but I imagine that being able to talk about the one that died would make the person feel closer to them again.

Just something else I'm learning from Lilly.

OK - Lilly just set the alarms off two times in a row. But I realized that I laid her down to sleep on her back instead of her side. Bad mommy! All is silent again ...

2 comments:

  1. its true. and while she wasn't my child, after 30 years, I still love to talk about Wendi and hear stories about her. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking about you all everyday. I am without words sometimes and i recognize not wanting to say something not important ore silly. I hope you feel a little bit supported by just reading you are in my heart and in my prayers and i wish you all mutch love.

    ReplyDelete